Gents,

I am still in the time out box for my UD-M42 and I am thinking about converting a Suomi Drum to fire with the UD-M42. I have zero experience in this area, but know the UD-M42 has the same magazine slot that the Thompson has. Since UD-M42 mags work in a thompson, and the M1 Thompson works with a "T" bar welded onto a Drum,

Then a similar set up for the UD-M42 should work.

Has anyone done this before? If so please post photos and measurements if you can. I have seen suomi drums adapted to Smith And Wesson 76s so this should be in the art of the possible.

Thanks in advance

Sandman1957

You might be able to use a regular 45 thomspon mag as a "doner" for the T slot lips, you sure dont want to cut up an original UD mag ( although I do have one that is screwed up and could be a good candidate). We made a bunch of conversion drums back before the 94 ban drove doner prices out of sight, and it was not economical to make the drums. Never got back into it I even found a prototype SW 76 drum the other day going through a box of "stuff". you might measure the drum width vs the magazine for clearance - I will do that here later this weekend too.

Thanks,

I am still awaiting the Tax Stamp to come in. I am going to use a Thompson beat up 30 round mag as the "T-Slot" doner. Will add this to a suomi drum to try the conversion. Just not sure if I have to add anything to the top of the magazine, or if it will function with just the T-Slot added.

Sandman1957

position of the drum relative to the bolt will be critical- you may need to adjust- the UD stick magazine is an alternating feed, and the drum is essentially single (center) feed. the Thompson works fine with the drum feed like this but you will need to adjust for the bolt clearance -

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I finally went and looked at the UD and suomi drum. The drum it too thick to fit up into the magazine "well" area of the UD42, You would have to add a tower to the drum - and that is fairly expensive. It does not look like you could cut away the drum for clearance, since it will impact the rotor clearance.....

Thanks for the input, I'll look at adding the tower. Just have to get the Tax stamp in to move forward. This is month 5 so I am optimistic that it should be approved in a few weeks.

Will let everyone know how it works out.