TM 9-215 Thompson Submachine gun Cal. .45, M1

In today’s mail I found a couple of items which were ‘new’ to me. One of them is the TM 9-215 War Dept. Technical manual for the TSMG M1, reprinted in March 1944 by the Raritan Arsenal.

TM 9-215 M1 Tech Manual Reprint 1944.JPG

In my collection I already have two versions of the TM9-215, and this one is identical to the other version published by the Raritan Arsenal in October 1942, apart from the cover design.

TM 9-215 M1 Tech Manual.jpg

The other version is almost identical, but includes the four page Change 1, which introduces the M1A1. covering the differences between the two models and an additional page supplying ‘Trajectory data’ and ‘ordinates in Yards’, which are not found in the other two versions in my collection. The Change 1 pages included in this version are dated August 1943.

TM 9-215 M1 Tech Manual with change 1.jpg

TM9-215 Change 1a.JPG TM9-215 Change 1b.JPG

TM9-215 Change 1c.JPG TM9-215 Change 1d.JPG

What I found strange about the reprint dated March 1944, it is an exact reprint of the October 1942 version with no mention of the M1A1. I would have thought a US War Dept. Manual issued in March 1944 would have referenced the M1A1, especially since an earlier version, as explained above, had included the Change 1 pages referring to the M1A1.

Stay safe

Richard