Salisbury, NC Sheriff Selling Colt '28 Navy #3694

I'm really curious to what it will sell for, or at least the asking price. I might make an offer.

The British markings are definitely a mystery. I would like to know when this Thompson was born on the NFA Registry. Perhaps that could offer a clue to its history. Someone familiar with British markings may be able to offer a date range for this particular marking. It would also be nice to have a listing of Colt's with British markings. Given this is a fairly low serial number, I would speculate AOC provided the British government with a number of sample guns for testing purposes in the 1920's. When the tests were completed, the guns were returned to AOC (because the Thompson was not adopted). Depending on the wear and tear, some guns could have been sold as used; other could have been re-blued by Colt's, fitted with compensators, and sold "as new." Of course, this is just conjuncture on my part.

The British markings are definitely a mystery.

Not so much Agatha Christie. Others have reported having the same U.K. proofs on their Colt TSMG. Board member Greg Fox said he at one time had a British proofed Colt TSMG that was shipped directly from AOC to a PD. Many moons ago Roger Cox noted the likelihood AOC had a British inspector on the premises. This would explain how examples of this type that never crossed the pond turned up in LEO arsenals.

The British markings are definitely a mystery.

Not so much Agatha Christie. Others have reported having the same U.K. proofs on their Colt TSMG. Board member Greg Fox said he at one time had a British proofed Colt TSMG that was shipped directly from AOC to a PD. Many moons ago Roger Cox noted the likelihood AOC had a British inspector on the premises. This would explain how examples of this type that never crossed the pond turned up in LEO arsenals.

Of course, Agatha would have noted I said other Colt's exist with British proofs. And what would be educational is known serial numbers of other Colt's that may offer an indication of a time period. Roger Cox's "likelihood" comment is just conjuncture. I prefer to go with my conjuncture since it is based on the fact the British tested the Thompson gun long before World War II. Greg Fox's statement fits perfectly with my thoughts and NO 3694. The British would have no need for an Inspector in the USA at AOC or Colt's regarding the Thompson gun prior to World War II. British Inspectors at Savage Arms in the 1940's would not explain British proof marks on early Colt's. However, if this marking and other British markings on Colt's could be dated, that would provide useful information to add to the history of the Thompson gun.

All good stuff!

Hi Guys

They asked me to examine this gun a few months ago and I took some quick pics. The Sheriff said they have a 50K offer so I did not shoot it or take it apart. They are going to auction it to get the max amount for new equipiment. It is almost new except for a few scratches on the plate. Sorry it took so long to get the pics up. I can ask about the date fo registration.

If anyone is seriously interested I can borrow it and take some more pics. The blue is so bright is is hard to take good photographs. I did it in a hurry.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13452.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13565.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13557.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13493.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13503.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/IMG_13484.JPG

Funny,

IF they did the price research, they would take the $50K and run! Even Cowans, Divine, RIAC, Poulin, and Julia don't bring that kind of $$$.

And there would be no seller's commission!

Sig - you could bring me up to speed if I am way off....

Edited by giantpanda4

I gotta wonder how real a 50k offer is on this gun. Admittedly, the gun looks nice, but that's a high price even in today's market.

I thought the same but did not want to influence anyone. Condition is really excellent. Chief deputy told me offer was made for 50K. No drum, no case and no 20 rd mags. If I hit the lotto tomorrow I'll bump the 50k though. It is really nice. I have shot a lot of Colt Thompsons but this one is almost too nice to shoot..........almost

According to Wirnsberger's book on proof marks, the Crown over BM mark was used on rifled barrels of military arms from 1916 to 1925 and after 1925 on all proofed military arms. Barrels were proofed with cordite or sometimes with nitro powder. This mark was used by the Birmingham proof house.

I have a 28 Navy, #3344. it appears to have the same proof marks as this gun but on the nose of the upper receiver as distinguished from the lower receiver as shown on this gun. the gun came from the Atlanta Police Department.

I had a bunch with brit proof's heck for some reason 98# had one. and I think #103. maybe the current owners can chime in and check that out.all good stuff. that 21ac looks real good though.not new or minty 98/99% but in the top ten..but then I was always a cond.cond.Colt guy.. Ron

The pictures and video appear to show a decent survivor. Not sure where they would have acquired a Colt Thompson in 1966 but I'll wager a little research will show they actually acquired it much earlier. There was no mention of registration status, unless I missed it, so it could turn out to be paper weight or a parts kit......

It's hard to judge from the pictures posted but the receiver appears to have a lot of scratches and quite a bit of freckling and thinning of the bluing. It also appears the bluing is worn off the edges of the rear sight. If that's the case, it is certainly not "mint" and I would rate it 90% or even lower pending an actual exam. I think a lot of folks get excited about these guns and tend to see them as excellent or even mint condition. Those of you who have actually seen and examined a 95% or higher Colt gun will know what I mean. Then again, the flaws mentioned could be gunk or bad lighting.

If you have a copy of the NRA grading system - apply it to this gun. If it's all original and mint, 50K could be a bargain. If it's 85 to 90%, 30-35K would be more in line with what has been sold recently. Just my take on what I can see so far. Hope it is transferable - it will make someone a nice addition.

Edited by 1921A

Top Ten is if you have ten colts in a row. starting at 100% to 90%this one overall might be on the lower of that scale. and with all the marks on the side if marks and not bad lighting or the pic's.and the precious Pivot plate scratch..then its all over.

back in the day I would see these all day at $5,000.00 to $7,000.00 today some go ga ga over any Colt.. its sad we have come to that. less guns out there I guess.one year I looked and handled over 300..21a is of course correct also. not mint but a nice Colt.one wonders no rocker pivot marks??safety. area and select.. that is truly really rare.however buttstock rail marks clearly seen. they just can't never not take off that darn stock...must be that hidden secret under it. Ron

Edited by colt21a

This is not a 50k gun and anyone spending that much for it has far too much money to throw away. I'll would wager that they will never realize that sales price, what, do they think they'll get more than that offer...haa!

Mike H.

This is not a 50k gun and anyone spending that much for it has far too much money to throw away. I'll would wager that they will never realize that sales price, what, do they think they'll get more than that offer...haa!

Mike H.

Sounds like you have good grasp of prices what is it worth?

If we can find out when NO 3344, the Atlanta PD Thompson in the DLansky collection was acquired by the Atlanta Police Department, we can most likely date the British proof marks prior to World War II. Perhaps the date it was "born" on the NFA Registry will offer a clue. Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) data is invaluable for this type of research - unless the bill of sale documentation to Atlanta PD still exists. Pictures of NO 3344 are on Page 123 of TUTB.

On Page 7 of the Cox book is a picture of NO 3004, a 28 NAVY, with what appears to be the same British mark.

Gordon reports another Atlanta PD gun, NO 3482, another 28 NAVY, also has British proofs. Unfortunately, he also reports this was a Lend-Lease gun; that information is incorrect. The third listed Atlanta PD with a much later serial number is not shown as having British markings.

When you add in NO 3694, you have four Colt's in the 3000 serial number range with British markings. I stand by my belief these Colt's were sent to Great Britain for testing sometime in the 1920's or 30's and later returned to AOC. TMAN's information about this being a Birmingham Proof mark would indicate the proofing, for lack of a better term, would have been done in-house. I doubt AOC had proofing facilities prior to the opening of the Bridgeport factory. I also agree with 1921A the NFA registration of NO 3694 is probably much earlier than the 1960's.

All good stuff!

Is there any info on gun #3386 that appears in the Gale&Polden book? It's surrounded by pics of Brit troops in training. Can't see any proofs though.