Barrel measurement, please

Looking for a measurement with the barrel installed from the back of the barrel nut to the muzzle. I'm going to be chopping the barrel soon on my Valkyrie Arms repro grease gun and want to make sure I have it exactly right

Thank you.

Edited by Kilroy

But as the semi-internals may be different , from the rear of the nut's locking notches to the end of the barrel , following the angle of the dangle is 7-1/4 inches . Along the barrel from the front of the nut proper to the muzzle is 6-1/4 inches . Now the OD of the nut on the FAs is 2-1/4 . You may have to fiddle with the dimentions to get the right look.

Chris

Thanks for the measurements. I had read on some websites that the barrel length was 6" and then read in FM 23-41 that it was 8". When I measures 8" from the nut proper as you called it 8" looked way too long.

Want to make sure I cut it to the right length the first time.

Thanks again, Hopefully the Form 1 is only three weeks out.

As was said above , eight inches is the correct over all length of the barrel proper before the nut is pressed on and pinned . The 9mm barrel sticks further out the nut's backside than the .45 barrel does in the full autos , thus my concern about over all length as I have not examined a semi .45 to see if it's the same as a FA .45 or not .

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Here it is with the barrel chopped down. I threaded the barrel to take a suppressor, so I have the flash hider on there as a 'thread protector'

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa54/RedSpecialSS/IMG_6265_zpsuhypu0ze.jpg

I have the blue prints to make one of those barrels and one day if like to try and make one but I'd have to deal with Valkyrie again to try and get another barrel.

Looks very nice.

I'd be interested to see those blueprints for the suppressor. Is there a reason you have to go with one of the Valkyrie barrels instead of a GI?

Yes , the Valkyries are semi auto , not full auto . If you have a " pistol " version you can have a short barrel but no stock . If you have a " rifle " version , you can have the stock , but must have a 16 " barrel . To be able to screw on a short GI barrel would not fly with BATF , therefor the threads are a different size and pitch .

Chris

I kinda figured that the thread size would be different but I wasn't 100% sure.

I could see myself doing a Form 1 build and making a M3 suppressor. I want an OSS type suppressor but I don't want to spend what they ask for them. There is a repo one on GB for $1,500

Anyone care to take a front sight height measurement for me? I shot this thing the other day and it was shooting very low. On a target about 15 yards away it was hitting about a foot low maybe even more. I figure the front sight is probably too tall.

Kilroy,

If your not accustomed to firing the M3 you may not be holding it on target as the 2 pound bolt fly's foreword. Shooting the M3, single shot, is similar to firing a flint lock rifle.

The other thing is barrel differences. I have 3 barrels for my M3. One shoots dead on at 25 yards. One shoots high and on shoots left of center.

They were targeted at Guide Lamp before passing inspection, but who knows what took place since.

Bottom line , the front sight height on one gun has little to do with another.

Jim C

Got it. I figured it would be in the ball park at least. Give me an idea of how much I had to shave off

Any sort of tips or tricks to filing down the sight? Is it as simple as take a file make a couple passes then see where I'm at?

Kilroy,

Get yourself a police silhouette target, place an orange 2 inch circle on the heart. Shoot 5 shots slow fire from sandbaged bench at 25 yards.

Save target and measure exactly how low the group hits. File a measured .010 off front sight. Reshoot another 5 shot group. Measure how much the group moved and then do the math. This will tell you how much more needs to be fired.

Don't remove all metal at once, go slowly.

Jim C

( inches bullet needs to move / inches to target ) x sight radius in inches = amount sight needs to be removed .

As was said , always leave a little to be removed for fine tuning . The formula is dead on , but the figures are only as good as your measurements are .

Chris