Kahr Drum

Just got back from a gun shop going out of business sale. Saw the drum. It looked a little better than some. It seems as if the first ones I saw were kind of rough with sharp edges...This one didn't look bad at all. Got it for 215.00 out the door...

One point I noticed, around the perimeter of the drum ( with the cover off ) is a small diameter copper / bronze wire silver soldered in place. Have any of you noticed this before.??? I have never opened a KAHR drum before, so I have none to compare it to.

Now I have to send it off to be modified to fire in the M1.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

STEN

I looked at about 25 of them so far, and all of them, the early ones and brand new ones, and they all have that wire around the top. Wonder what they did that for?

That copper coated wire is electric welder wire. It is there because the body was formed too short to either allow the cartridges to move freely or the spider to not ride against the rails in the lid. This is a quick fix to salvage a production mistake. I've gotten 6 of these new Kahr drums and only one was like this. It went back to Kahr for replacement. (Still waiting) Not owning up to your mistakes and trying to still get full price for that kind of sub par workmanship really stinks! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Rich

All the drums I had "lacked" the copper ring,so the rotor had a lot of drag from hitting the rails. This will be my 4th one.

I'm still waiting for another one to come back from kahr.If this one isn't in good working condition I'm gonna try to get my $$$ back!! I'll just stick with my working X Drum,which sucks but it works. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Supershooter-

Thank you for the information - I was wondering about that "feature" on the outside lip of the drum myself.

I have shot the new Kahr drums in my 1928. I felt the spring was weak and I hated all of the clicking during a quarter turn.

However, I did dump it a few times in full auto without a jam. Other times I did have a bit of snag during feeding inside the drum... maybe two or three times out of ten. I am ruling out ammo because it was the same type of brand new commercial ammo in each load.

If you are interested, Numrich (link to drums here) had or has WH era marked "LEO" drums that are not Kahr manufacture that are a bit more correct without the copper ring. I don't know if they have any more for sale, so I would suggest you call them if you are interested before placing an order.

Hope that helps-

Chris