• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3582 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:04 PM

The late Red West and Kathy McCullen 1978 Black Sheep Squadron "Fighting Angels"

Attached File  Red West Black Sheep .JPG   97.23K   84 downloads

#2 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2840 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:38 PM

Arthur,

As I recall Red decided that miss sweetie pie wasn't cut out to be a Tommy gunner and gave her a carbine instead.

Jim C

#3 mnshooter

mnshooter

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1965 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:28 AM

"Everyone be on the lookout for nips".

#4 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 834 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

That looks like one of the Stembridge Thompsons, perhaps the one Vic used in Combat, not too much detail in that photo.

Red passed last year. Was a lucky guy though, caught many of Elvis's overflow of pretty young things wanting to get close to the King. If you haven't read "Elvis, What Happened", the book he helped write in '77 shortly before Elvis died, pick up a copy for insight into Elvis's inner circle. Red was also working on a biography called "Red & Elvis" which should be coming out soon, I'm sure it will be most revealing.

here's one of the photos he signed for me back in the day. This was taken in 1958 on Lake Pontchartrain while filming "King Creole", (his best film in my opinion) in New Orleans. 

Mike Hammer

Attached Files

#5 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1338 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:27 PM

Yes that indeed could be #8245, which is the one Vic used. Good point, M. Hammer.

#6 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:History of warfare technology, Martin Guitars, Authentic BBQ, C&R FFL

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:44 PM

Are you referring to Vic Morrow? Newbie, but old enough to remember and enjoyed The Rat Patrol.

#7 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 834 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:37 AM

Are you referring to Vic Morrow? Newbie, but old enough to remember and enjoyed The Rat Patrol.

You betcha. Vic's Stembridge Colt used in Combat has been discussed here on the board in previous threads. A search here should pull them up. The entire series of episodes (which I have) of "Combat" are on DVD if you would like to visit or re-visit them, great stuff.

MH

#8 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1338 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 02:44 PM

Yes Gary; V. Morrow used that one and #4090, which wore a crossbolt stock and not the wide open compensator. As M. Hammer says, those have been discussed here. Thanks.

#9 richard w.

richard w.

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:26 PM

"Pappy's Lambs"!

Pretty strong stuff for an 11 year old in those days!

#10 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3582 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 06:44 PM

"Pappy's Lambs"!

Pretty strong stuff for an 11 year old in those days!

Considering the producers had zero interest in verisimilitude of WWII era women dress and hairstyles, they might as well have called them Boyington's Babes.

Of course  Pappy had to have the same breed dog as Patton.

Boyington/Conrad & Meatball

Attached File  Boyington and Meatball.jpg   71.91K   24 downloads                                         

Patton & Willie

Attached File  real Patton & real Willie.jpg   22.94K   24 downloads

Brokenhearted Willie

Attached File  Willie and his master's luggage.jpg   34.92K   23 downloads

#11 mnshooter

mnshooter

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1965 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:47 PM

I was fortunate enough to converse with Greg Boyington at Oshkosh when BBBS/BSS was airing.  I mentioned the "Babes"; he said that was because of Charley's Angels.  He said that if there had been women like that on the island, he would never had been able to get his pilots into their planes.

He also said Robert Conrad was one of the few people in Hollywood who was worth a damn; that his (Conrad's) word was better than any contract.

Edited by mnshooter, 26 September 2018 - 08:49 PM.

#12 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1338 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:26 PM

mnshooter, very interesting. Gotta love true stories.

#13 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3582 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:15 AM

He also said Robert Conrad was one of the few people in Hollywood who was worth a damn; that his (Conrad's) word was better than any contract.

The Mannix episode "The Playground"  features Conrad playing the type of  primadonna actor  that terrorized movie sets and studios.  The Mitch Cantrell character's personality and hobbies are almost too close for comfort for the actor Robert Conrad.  Conrad would have to have a  stellar reputation in Hollywood in order to play this role and not have insiders claim it was a biographical portrait.

Conrad, Mike Connors, Leslie Parrish (who in the 1960's coined the phrase "Suppose they gave a war and nobody came?") 

Attached File  007.JPG   101.7K   18 downloads

Attached File  010.JPG   124.01K   18 downloads

#14 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 834 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

Art, glad you are enjoying the old re-runs of Mike Connors as Mannix, great fun if you don't look at them too critically. I'll take 'Pappy's' word on Conrad, by most accounts a straight shooter. Did all his own stunts on WWWest and honored with a membership in the stunt union. Was severely injured in a stunt and missed a good part of one season. Here's a couple photos signed for me from them back in the day. And if you haven't read Pappy's "Baa Baa Black Sheep", pick up a copy it's a good read, here's my signed copy from him. I would be remiss if I neglected to address Art's mention of 60's dream girl and one of my boyhood crushes, Leslie Parrish, what a doll, Hubba Hubba....

MH

Attached Files

#15 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3582 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:59 PM

Art, glad you are enjoying the old re-runs of Mike Connors as Mannix, great fun if you don't look at them too critically. I'll take 'Pappy's' word on Conrad, by most accounts a straight shooter. Did all his own stunts on WWWest and honored with a membership in the stunt union. Was severely injured in a stunt and missed a good part of one season. 

Mike,

Remember this thread on Mannix :

http://www.machinegu...ors#entry163315

Here is the stunt where Conrad nearly wound up a quadriplegic. It remained in the final edit of the episode that aired.  The wild west cowboy TV character he played in the above Mannix episode gladly turns over any dangerous falls to the stuntman. 

Attached File  Conrad fall 1.JPG   130.87K   15 downloadsAttached File  Conrad fall 2.JPG   115.32K   15 downloadsAttached File  Conrad fall 3.JPG   115.43K   15 downloads