- - - - -

Ian McCollum of "Forgotten Weapons" with 1921AC #10163

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 R67

R67

• Regular Group
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:WWII US Uniforms and Equipment, College girls, and Thompsons of course....

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

I recommend this video for the simple fact that 10163 is in EXCELLENT condition. All the info provided is common knowledge among collectors here, but I thought it would still be cool to share. 

#2 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1652 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:20 PM

Pretty good especially for someone who has never seen a Thompson disassembled or reassembled before

BUT

Recoil cushions @ 16:48? I had it wrong all this time apparently!

#3 Canuck

Canuck

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 09:15 PM

Sig, you have to get out of the house more often! Everyone knows those are recoil cushions.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure where Ian got that idea. That being said I agree it was a good video and I'll look forward to the remainder of his Thompson reviews. When you consider how many firearms Ian reviews I think he does a great job and (as anal as I am) I'm willing to cut him some slack.

I bet he'd love to visit a TATA or TCA event.

#4 R67

R67

• Regular Group
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:WWII US Uniforms and Equipment, College girls, and Thompsons of course....

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:13 AM

After the felt "buffer" comment I muted the video and just drooled an my keyboard at the Colt. My goodness what a sweet piece. 

#5 michaelkih

michaelkih

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 01:17 AM

My God Im so glad I own one of these! Every time I just see one Im amazed at these guns! Good video and pretty nice gun. Love it!👍

#6 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1760 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:22 AM

I stopped watching about 3 min into the show. Just could not handle the poorly summarized history and flawed principles applied.

Ron

#7 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 267 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Trucks, Games, and Woodworking

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

I am really surprised that he did a video on this as it is not a forgotten weapon and probably never will be like the M16, AK, maxims, M2, etc.

#8 R67

R67

• Regular Group
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:16 PM

I am really surprised that he did a video on this as it is not a forgotten weapon and probably never will be like the M16, AK, maxims, M2, etc.

"Forgotten weapons" as a term used by Ian speaks beyond the time we live in now. Machines and paper rot, electronic documentation is forever. He has said in interviews his mission is to primarily document rare unknown guns, but also seeks to preserve the history online of as many as he can. He has really gone all out to make this his career, so it is also also necessary that he produce a video to be released every day to keep his patreon supporters happy. So it was only a matter of time until he got to the TSMg and it's variants. You could say that half of the guns he covers are not "forgotten", but on the other side of the coin; most laymen can't tell you the difference between an M1A1 TSMG and a 1921A TSMG. So the fact he is documenting all the different types in an easy to access format is within the scope of the mission of his business. 

#9 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Guns, aviation, didgeridoo, banjo, metal detecting.

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:24 PM

The Thompson will be the last weapon to be forgotten.

#10 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4583 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:59 PM

I'll give him props that he got to U.S. Postal Service Thompson purchase correct.  I disagree that the Blish principle was a "flawed physical principle."  One may argue whether it was necessary for the Thompson, but the principle itself was proven.  Recoil cushions...I wonder where he got that one.  He even denied they are oiling pads.  I guess we can look at it as a bit of comedy inserted into the video...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#11 richard w.

richard w.

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 410 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:04 AM

I don't think I could talk for 5 minutes straight without saying something wrong, much less 25 minutes like Ian does in his videos.

Dude doesn't make egregious errors like that very often.

#12 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1005 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:51 AM

... Recoil cushions...I wonder where he got that one.  He even denied they are oiling pads.  I guess we can look at it as a bit of comedy inserted into the video...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Perhaps someone should as diplomatically as possible point Ian to the Sep. 7, 1920 patent noted on the right side of the Thompson receiver.  It's U.S. patent no. 1,352,414; and the title of the invention is "Breech Lubrication".

#13 R67

R67

• Regular Group
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

His email is admin@forgottenweapons.com

He will correct his errors if enough of us reach out. 

#14 Renz

Renz

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:45 PM

"Forgotten weapons" as a term used by Ian speaks beyond the time we live in now. Machines and paper rot, electronic documentation is forever. He has said in interviews his mission is to primarily document rare unknown guns, but also seeks to preserve the history online of as many as he can. You could say that half of the guns he covers are not "forgotten", but on the other side of the coin; most laymen can't tell you the difference between an M1A1 TSMG and a 1921A TSMG. So the fact he is documenting all the different types in an easy to access format is within the scope of the mission of his business. 

You make a very good point. This is how I interpret "Forgotten Weapons" as a collection of information for weapons, regardless of the times. To make sure the information is passed through generations and avoid said weapon to be forgotten, at the least it's history and development. Anybody can know what a Thompson is, but not everyone may know it's history which is an important part of any weapon's development and intended purpose. 

#15 lightguy

lightguy

• Board Benefactor
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Cars, coins, pinball, movie posters

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:29 PM

I thought it was a great video other than the very few flaws mentioned. 

IMO this group tends to nit pick too much.

Ian has bumped interest in this gun (and others) through these vids.

A great service to the community in general.

I wonder if this gun brings a small premium because of the vid.

I have bought specific serial number guns that he has mentioned in other videos and its kind of neat to have a "famous video gun" ;)

#16 michaelkih

michaelkih

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:22 AM

I thought it was a great video other than the very few flaws mentioned. 

IMO this group tends to nit pick too much.

Ian has bumped interest in this gun (and others) through these vids.

A great service to the community in general.

I wonder if this gun brings a small premium because of the vid.

I have bought specific serial number guns that he has mentioned in other videos and its kind of neat to have a "famous video gun" ;)

LOL.  It's just YouTube.  I guess since Hickok45 used my M60E6, PPSh-41, MP44, and Colt BAR in his videos, then they are famous too?  ;)

#17 michaelkih

michaelkih

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:24 AM

I don't think I could talk for 5 minutes straight without saying something wrong, much less 25 minutes like Ian does in his videos.

Dude doesn't make egregious errors like that very often.

Correct.  It is hard to not make mistakes.  I do Machine Gun Mike, and it is a hell of a lot harder than people think to make videos and get your talking strait 100% of the time.  Take the videos on YouTube for what they are worth.  Entertaining and FREE.

#18 Vettom

Vettom

• Regular Group
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:17 AM

I have seen his videos on Galils and others I thought they were mostly hitting the high points anyway FWIW
Thanks

#19 securityinfo

securityinfo

• Board Benefactor
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:57 AM

Took a look at the pre-sale estimate on Morphy's.  Question:  is the estimate in line with the visual condition of the weapon?  

#20 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2340 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:21 AM

Ian did a nice job for a guy not steeped in Thompson history.