Bought a thompson jam-O-matic this summer

Had fun figuring out this m1928a1. It would run one seymore 30 round mag that came with the gun some of the time but would jam on occasion as well. I thought maybe try some different 30 rounders. So I ordered a few from here and there. Some seymore, some crosby. None worked well. Jam, jam,jam. So next I saw some folks recommending a recoil spring replacement. So I picked up a few recoil springs. Tried them with no luck. Same trouble jamming. I found a member here selling an anvil for 30 round mags so I ordered one and re shaped the feed lips on all my mags except the one that halfway worked. You guessed it. Still jamming.I really felt the bolt was traveling over the rim of the cartridge. There was a gap between the top of the hole in the lower frame and the top of the mag catch button. Not much. Say maybe 1/16", 1/8"" at the most. Didn't seem like much. Thought I'd try to close the gap some. I removed the mag catch and gave it a bent. I thought it would be hard to bend. Mag catch looks very strong. It was alot easier to bend than it looked. Infact I over did it and had to un bend it till The nose of the mag catch just fit and worked free. That fixed it. That little bend did it. All my mags work perfect. Infact I have had no failures of any kind. I've tried hollow points, wad cutters, ect... the gun eats anything I feed it now. Been meaning to post my results for a bit now. Thinking maybe my experience might help someone else sometime. I've since ordered a new mag catch but don't plan on using it unless I have problems with the one I bent on down the road.

R/s, Hiller......................

https://imgur.com/m6IcXbghttps://imgur.com/m6IcXbg

post-262896-0-92764100-1603902941_thumb.jpeg

post-262896-0-70166900-1603902953_thumb.jpeg

post-262896-0-98864100-1603902962_thumb.jpeg

post-262896-0-65122600-1603906779_thumb.jpeg

Had a similar issue with a Colt that was an armor car company gun. The gun jammed and or the magazines

fell out of the gun. Disassemble the entire gun and found for some reason there was a piece of paper wrapped

around the mag catch between the catch and frame. So it was invisible prior to disassembly. Replaced the

catch with a WWII catch and the gun has run flawlessly ever since.

Tracie

FWIW, I had similar issues with my ole WH, but after using my Tiz mag tool on all my xx mags and also replacing the mag catch with a GI it runs like a sewing machine.

Any piece of info is always helpful.

With that said, I didn't fully understand what you changed.

Any before/after images of the mag catch to illustrate what exactly changed?

I don't think I have a before picture. If you click on the picture I attached to this post of the lower frame/mag catch area you'll see little or no gap between the hole in the lower frame and the mag catch titty. The titty is positioned as far up in the hole as possible without binding. If you look at the bottom of the hole/titty you'll see a sizable gap. For me getting the mags up as high in the gun as possible without interfering with the bolt/action made all the difference in the world. I'm not recommending this fix for anyone else. Wanted to share my experience as food for thought.

R/s, Hiller.............................

Any piece of info is always helpful.

With that said, I didn't fully understand what you changed.

Any before/after images of the mag catch to illustrate what exactly changed?

I don't think I have a before picture. If you click on the picture I attached to this post of the lower frame/mag catch area you'll see little or no gap between the hole in the lower frame and the mag catch titty. The titty is positioned as far up in the hole as possible without binding. If you look at the bottom of the hole/titty you'll see a sizable gap. For me getting the mags up as high in the gun as possible without interfering with the bolt/action made all the difference in the world. I'm not recommending this fix for anyone else. Wanted to share my experience as food for thought.

R/s, Hiller.............................

In first pic one can see the gap between the mag and the receiver.

Changing the catch pin moved the magazine up so better feeding.

Is this correct ?

Edited by lightguy

Just curious if this was a Rewat gun, the first picture has a blemish by the drum slot. Perhaps that might be why the mag to feed ramp spec might be a little off?

I don't know. I'll have to take a close look at it next time I clean it. When I bought it it wasn't advertised as a rewat.

R/s, Hiller..............................