New Asking In Thompson Prices

Current add on one of the boards

Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport Thompson Model of 1928 AC.

Matching numbers

Smooth Barrel,

Rear L sight

Horazontal forearm

1 twenty Round Bridgeport magazines

1 twenty round Seymour Magazine

Price $ 25,000 + SH&I

I realize anyone can ask what they want, and since Thompsons seem to be on everyone's buy list now, it's a sellers market. However, regarding the way prices are rising, I feel like I'm watching the dot.com bubble all over again. In this case, buy today because they'll be pricer tomorrow. Only difference is that although the vast majority of dot.coms lost a great deal of value, even if you "overpay" today, the Thompson will still be worth it and more in a few years.

I'm just glad I bought my 21/28 and M1A1 before prices really began to be absurd. Although I still "need" a 21 and a 28 for my collection

Just remember...askin` and gettin` are two different things...plus this add has got alot of typos in it..`Jones Tun Shop`...`horazontal forearm`...`1 twenty Round Bridgeport magazines`...come on ...if he can`t get that right, how`s he gonna get the price right?...maybe $15,000.00 if it`s really nice, just my .02, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I'll side with the fellow RKI's here. Even @ $15K, it had better be a real beauty, IMHO. As 21 smoker says, askin' and gettin' are two different things! My idea would be $12.5K, with a bit of headroom for nudging. I fear THOMPSON GREED has bitten the seller. Our "Respected Member" might agree. Then there are the other questions, like how does it run, feed, look, etc.

Keep us posted on this one, if you would; or provide a link. We can all be armchair generals and watch it go by, or who knows---somebody here may actually get the thing for a good price! That smooth barrel with a comp is a different look...

All in good clean fun,

Ron

We all know that 25K is too much for that gun!

My idea would be $12.5K, with a bit of headroom for nudging.

I will take all you have at that price if you are selling. No matter what you think prices SHOULD BE, they are always going to be more in the MG world.

I would like to by ANYTHING that is priced at half or 70% less than its really worth. I am going to make money if I can.

Look at the Cadillac Gauge Stoner 63 over on Sturm that started at $95k and last I saw was $45k on the ask. Gotta remember, in legal terms, a contract is formed between a willing buyer and a willing seller.

On unique items, can't blame a seller for starting high.

Hey, but aren't all these pieces unique??

Ken

$12.5k for a decent WW2 Thompson is a memory. There isn't a person on this board who would sell their gun for that price. I believe "retail" for a M1 is probably $14k to $16k while the '28s would run $17k to $19k.

Prices are very high as everyone knows. A person just has to shop around. There's a 28 Bridgeport on subguns for $17500

Original WWII Bridgeport 1928A1 TSMG. This is one of the original US WWII guns that were sold to PD's after the War as mentioned in Cox's book on page 22. The "US" and the "1" in A1 have been removed and replaced with a "C". The gun has a "L" sight, smooth barrel and cutts, vertical foregrip, matching numbers and is in at least 90-95% condition with the exception of the barrel and cutts having been blued. Rest of gun is parkerized. Comes with one 20 round mag and is on a Form 3 in Penna.

I think $12.5K is a memory - I remember paying that just this past February for my 28.

Must be the aging thing - I am losing memory fast!

Wife said "why not sell it?" Of coruse the answer is when I am gone, do what you want, but I am never gonna be able to get another one anywhere near that price, so I will just keep it forever!

I doubt many on this board are actuially selling their guns right now, as they are too aware of the still rising prices.

I do wonder if there will be a price crash - like classic cars in 1991 - and if there is, I will then be able to buy another one!

Currently "looking" (actually set back for a couple weeks with a 3rd down while I sell off a few other NFA items to friends) at a mismatched M1 that was at least refinished once by Uncle.

The M1 is $13.5 to $14K (might have been five hundred less if had cash in hand on day one, but having the couple weeks is worth a little extra).

Regards

John

If you think the asking prices for Thompsons is "high" then examine what has happened to all class III prices. Take Uzis for an example or MP5. Look what has happened in the last two years. What are they asking for BARs, MG42s etc. etc., Everything is going up, even "tube" guns and "sear" guns. Unless the government does something to screw everything up prices will not go down. Too many buyers and not enough guns or sellers.

QUOTE (philasteen @ Aug 24 2004, 07:05 PM)
The price seems to have dropped to $19,500 today.

Philasteen,

Unless I'm mistaken, this is a different gun. Price went from $17.5K to $19.5K

After looking at both ads it appears that they are describing the same gun with two different e-mails, three different prices. 17.5k, 19.5k and 25k. Looks like someone is fishing!

Same gun,...new price....maybe he will lower the price $1,000.00 a day til it sells...ha! ...I`ll buy it in September, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Nope - it's the same gun. I didn't post the sellers name before since I did want to start any board flames. But it is the same seller. Obviously no buys at 25, so we'll just drop it to a bargain price @19.5. I wonder what Saturday's price will be? I'm really tempted just to call him and offer him what I think the gun is worth to me.

I'm the guy who is selling the Bridgeport 1928 "PD" gun on Subguns for $17,500.00. Please don't confuse me with another guy selling one for $25,000. The ad in Subguns is the only ad I've placed for this gun with the exception of it just having been listed on Guns America at the same price. I've not edited the ad or changed the price, it's always been at $17,500. These must be two completely different guns unless he stole my picture somehow.

Larry

NE, PA

Both these 28s are located in SE Pennsylvania. I personnally know both dealers.

The first one listing his Thompson for $17,500 is a good guy. He is located in Bucks County. I have purchased a MG-42 from him and well as some regular firearms. He is fair to deal with and honest. Worked the MG-42 deal $1K up front the rest over time. Started the transfer at 50% down balance upon transfer.

The other individual is located in Allentown PA. With his Thompson SMG listed for $25K. BE VERY CAREFULL. He likes his cash 100% up front and has a reputation. His prices are always HIGH.

I do not feel that a Government 28 is worth $17K or $25K. But you get what you pays for.

Paul in PA

I feel like I'm watching the dot.com bubble all over again. In this case, buy today because they'll be pricer tomorrow.

Unlike dot.com's, they don't make transferable SMG's anymore. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Norm

Sigh. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I knew I shoulda bought a buncha stuff years ago.

If I could kick myself my butt would be mighty sore!! (but then so would everyone elses!!!)

john