Birger Gang Thompsons

Where can I find out the serial numbers of the Thompson SMGs that were reportedly owned by the Charlie Birger gang in the 1920's? I believe they ended up in the Franklin County Sheriffs Department in Benton, IL. That is where they hung Charlie Birger in 1928.

Where can I find out the serial numbers of the Thompson SMGs that were reportedly owned by the Charlie Birger gang in the 1920's? I believe they ended up in the Franklin County Sheriffs Department in Benton, IL. That is where they hung Charlie Birger in 1928.

Gordon Herigstad's Colt Thompson Serial Numbers has the guns listed to Franklin County as #'s 4861, 5106, and 5296. He doesn't say definitively if they were owned by Birger, but they are presently in the possession of the Frankin County Sheriff's Department.

They used to have two of his Thompson's on display. Looking at the website, it doesn't look like they do anymore.

http://nohomejustroam.com/visiting-franklin-county-historic-jail-museum-benton-il/

Another link to some additional photos.

https://thesouthern.com/news/local/benton-antique-shop-hosts-charlie-birger-display/article_812060dc-3e34-5b4d-b23b-e8030fd252ad.html

Edited by gijive

From that area Cox had #5290 on cover i had #5294 and Terry Williams still has one.Some great Illinois Thompson history War in Iillinois and Bloody Williamson two good books, And that info has been posted here in the past.Ron

To add to this, there is another member of this board who has some of the Birger history interest. He can chime in later.

Colt Chopper and I were at an auction that had the actual noose used in the Birger hanging. It sold for over $16k. It was well documented as the actual rope.

Gordon Herigstad's Colt Thompson Serial Numbers has the guns listed to Franklin County as #'s 4861, 5106, and 5296. He doesn't say definitively if they were owned by Birger, but they are presently in the possession of te Frankin County Sheriff's Department.

Serial numbers 4861 and 5296 do not reside in the Franklin County Sheriffs Department as they are in my possession.

Gordon Herigstad's Colt Thompson Serial Numbers has the guns listed to Franklin County as #'s 4861, 5106, and 5296. He doesn't say definitively if they were owned by Birger, but they are presently in the possession of te Frankin County Sheriff's Department.

Serial numbers 4861 and 5296 do not reside in the Franklin County Sheriffs Department as they are in my possession.

Well, I'm just telling you that Gordon's book mentions that they were at one time the property of the Franklin County Sheriff's Department. If they are in your possession now then you should know the history and the succession of the guns. There is a possibility I suppose that you own one or more of Birger's guns. If you had knowledge of the guns and their provenance, why were you asking in the first place?

It was also posted in two other places. They are worth Millions now........................back to my Whitescastles. And margaritaville....

Ron

Colt Chopper Birger might have touched it ya never know.everybody still have a nice week.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...