Newbie Looking to Learn

Hey there. Newbie question for you.

I have a 1927a1. I am looking to install a Green Mountain 14.125" barrel on it.

Does it need any kind of headspacing or fitting, or does it just spin on like I've read from a few people here and on other sites? Is there anything else I need to know getting it on?

Thanks.

why are you changing the barrel if I might ask? and who is going to actually do the work? the reason I ask is a friend of mine just had his receiver ruined by a gunsmith who said he could do this. when you do change the barrel and its out it would be a good time to polish the ramp a bit.

Removing a barrel from a Thompson can be tricky without the right tools ! They are tough. For most probably best to have deerslayer, choppero or another skilled gunsmith do this. Unless you are going to do several Thompsons probably cheaper for a one off than cost of correct fixtures.

Another option is to have original barrel cut and new front end installed. There are a couple of smiths that do this.

This of couse, assumes you have completed a Form 1 for the BATmen and have been approved or you are a FFL holder of correct type.

To install a short barrel on a rifle without paying the tax and getting approval could win you an all expenses paid trip to Club Fed ..............................

Thanks for the food for thought. I'll reach out to the smiths and see how it fits my budget.

It's one of those things where I'd like to learn, and I always hear "Just pay someone else to do it". I figure I have a lathe, mill, welder, and a lot of free time now to take my time, and near me there aren't really any classes I could take, and funds aren't as loose as they were a few months ago. Turning down the barrel might be a more interesting way to do it, and precludes the need to remove it or blue the new barrel.

It's not an SBR barrel, so long as I pin and weld my Cutts to it.

Also, is there a reference somewhere to figure out the lineage of mine 1927a1 based on the serial number?

Thanks.

Edited by DerekB

Unless you have a really interesting lathe you're going to have to take the barrel off to shorten it and reinstall the front sight. The 16 inch barrel will be smaller diameter at 14 length than it is at 16 in. so you need to make a little sleeve to put your original site on a shortened Barrel.

If you got a nice shop you can probably make some sort of barrel vise to take your Barrel off and put it back on. Or you can use a pipe wrench lol..

When I did my Green Mt Barrel I put my Thompsons barrel into a vise between to cedar blocks with some rosin powder for added grip. When you crush down on the barrel it presses into the cedar without hurting the metal parts. Used an old Hyde belt to protect the receiver nose from the pipe wrench. Worked like a dream. I also did the modification to the grip hanger for removal before the barrel so any future removal would be much easier. Edited by 06AngusSG