Knob Creek!

Have yet to attend but have check out the remarks on Subguns and from what I am hearing the shoot is great but many people are not happy with how the show is handled.

Either way, I look forward to the videos and pictures that materialize after the show. Make sure you post some for us.

The rain, the mud, the dust and having to pay to go visit friends who are camping sucks. I don't have any problems with the locals that some seem to have. Overall, it is a load of fun. I get to get away for a week (twice a year), visit with friends, find great deals on the tables (some stuff I haven't been able to get on eBay or at local shows or through Shotgun News ads). Less than a week to go (doin' a Snoopy dance).

I'm going Friday. Son's got SAT's on Saturday and I want to be here to boot him in the butt on Saturday morning. Have to miss the night show this time but, we'll dig through the boxes for parts and probably buy some crap I don't need. What else is new? I'll take some flicks and will post something early next week. Looks like there may not be too much rain this week so, maybe there won't be too much mud !!!

Anyone who can go should. It's really a hoot!

CJR

I'm roadtripping from Norfolk VA for Friday and Saturday. Any tips for a first timer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Earle

Earle,

I'm third timer so I'm certainly not the most informed. I live in Indy (2+ hrs North) so I've never stayed over night. If you've not gotten a room, I'd shoot for Louisville. It's about 20 minutes away and all the popular hotels are there.

Friday seems to be the best day for parts and gun deals. Don't know? Always gone on Saturday in the past. Saturday is the big day for subgun matches and of course, the night shoot. It's unbelieveable! Bring a video camera if possible and EAR PLUGS. You'll see stuff you may never see again. There's a LOT of people on Saturday. Here's a tip... the night shoot starts at 5:00. Pee, get food, drink and find a spot on the fence behind the main line about 4:00 and STAY there. You'll be rewarded. Otherwise, you'll be 4 rows deep trying to see over the top. There are three shoots, 5, 7, and 9 so, ya might start your day there a little late so you can hang around till the end. The last shoot is normally the best with tracers, et al. Parking is a bitch. You're not being singled out. Deal with it. There are mules that run up and down the road so you can get a ride to carry your stuff or to relieve your legs.

The weather here has changed early this year. Dress warmly and bring a poncho or something in case it rains. The creek is natorious (SP) for mud so, the new white tennis shoes will not be the same afterwards.

Overall, good show, good parts, nice people and some awsome shooting. Obviously check out the web using Nick's link posted above.

HTH

CJR

Brickyard,

Thanks much for the tips. I've been looking forward to this trip for a long time!

Later,

Earle

Buy all means, bring your Thompsons, and make your way past the main rg/dealer area, on down the trail; Trail will split, left is the Sub-Gun match run by Tony & Varner Bros; right and all the way down, will take you to the 'Jungle Walk'. Bring that Thompson, and 50 rounds, and try your skill at target acquisition & quick engagement of 18 metal targets. (Bring any sub mg you have, will do).........We have an uzi for those who do not have a sub mg, and ammo if you do not......$10. for run,,,,if needed $10.for ammo

I must tell you, the MP-5, MP-40, the PPSH, and Swedish 'K' do the best. Names such as Rick Hill, Malcolm Davis and Mitchell Maxberry have ruled the Jungle....It's time for the Thompson to rule the 'Jungle Walk' !!..I hope to see you there....Fri is the best day, and Saturday, there is always such a wait, we try to run it as safe and fast as possible.(Bob & George)....(best time ever, 56 seconds, all 18 targets)

Somebody make a list of all Thompsons and drums and post the prices here!

I got a card in the mail today.There is going to be a big gun show Oct. 11 & 12 at the Paroquet Center @ I-65 & exit 117. I'll have to hit it up on the way to KC. I'll try to note the Thompson's & drums & parts.

Hi all,

I've been away for awhile and need some info. I plan on going to Knob Creek in the morning and am curious if once there will there be alot of walking involved? I would like to take my father who is in good shape but might not be up to difficult walking or long treks from point A to B. Any help or tips along this line would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Hi Chuck... Everything is pretty much right there... your longest walk may be from your car to the range, depending on what kind of spot you get.... Right behind the firing line there is a snack shop... to the right of it is the pavilion where all the vendors are located and to the right of that (which is a short walk) is where the subgun matches are and things like that... There is always some guy driving a mule around, wearing scary camo, who'll give you a lift if you need it. Have fun! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

DSP26.JPG

Nick,

Thanks !! I know my father can handle that, he's a golfer. I'm really looking forward to going but had a tough choice between KC or one of the last few nice weekends to bass fish. A still unrepaired trolling motor made the choice for me. Hope to some of you there !!

Chuck

First shirt:

Just got back. Good day. Show was pretty good. Lights were out in the tents until about 3:00. Fairly good parts. Only TSMG's I saw were Post Samples. 4-5 drums from $550 -$1400©.

You'll park on the road (KY44). Walk to the entrance road. GET A MULE. Give the guy $2.00 and enjoy the ride. Not much mud this time. A little humid but overall temp is good. Good line shooting and if possible, walk down the back road to the subgun matches and the rental/assalt rifle course. Walking down is easy. Up is a kind of a bitch but not much worse than a par five.

Check my post above for some of the timing issues.

Have fun!

CJR

Ok, just got back from the goat rodeo called Knob Creek. I didn't relize they gave crack to all the dealers down there to get the day started!? I know, they know that people want machine guns and other types of assault weapons,but for the love of God do they have to bend you over and stick up so far your tonsiles hurt? Ok, I'm off my little rant. No I'm not! But $10k for a Freakin' "C" drum proto-type?! No wonder he's had it for,quote, "several years."

Now for the other requests on prices.

Colt 1921AC $14,500 best deal I saw there. 90%

Colt 1921 $16,500 not bad 90%+

Colt 1921AC $16,500 90%+

WH 1928 good shape (85-90%) $8000

1928 Savage gun $15,500 (60-70% my opinion)

WH "C" drum $1350 NIB (which means it probably doesn't run)

2-WH "L" drums $650 ea. Looks used but no dents or dings.

WH "L" drum $950

Crosby "L" drum $1450 -smokes crack daily

Seymore "L" drum $1350-same smoker

parts ran all over the board from $1.00 for a spring to $585 for a 1928 lower w/o wood. Not in bad shape.

M1A1 parts guns w/dummy reciever, $850-$950

There was many more parts I didn't even ask for the price when I found what other prices were going for. Like a WH actuator for $285. It looked like bad pot metal molded to look like something it shouldn't be.

But other than that the shoot was a hoot! They blew up a old RV in the late afternoon shoot. It went in a ball of fire in a second.

I also meet Greg Fox the guy from Florida who is making some replica cases for the 1928 models. He has both the "INDIANA" & the POLICE/FBI style cases available. But is running out of parts. The case is VERY well built. I will order mine when he gets back. He had both styles there for me to inspect and they look very very good. 1st class all the way. I would highly recommend one if you want one.

Ok now I'm over my rants and raves, so let's get back to reality now. Naaaaaaaaaaaaa! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Oh almost forgot. First Sergeant, it was a pleasure to meet you and talk with you for the time. Hope to see you at the next TCA meeting/show. Find out about those items we talked about and let me know,I'd be interested in one!

Several other types of FA guns were all over the boards also. AC556's were $3800-$4500. M16's ranged from $8000-$12,000. BAR's $14,500-$19,500. Now all the guns I price and have told here were transferable, not the post-sample or pre-sample guns that "most" people cannot have. Those I walk on by. So how about $36,000 for a post sample m60? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Thanks to all that made my first trip to KC a success. My father was unable to make it but the tips came in handy for me (no sleep for 20+ hours prior to going). A very large crowd but all the tips got me to where I needed to be so as not to miss anything.

With such a large crowd I was surprised to run into and meet Mike (Full Auto 45) while pouring over some Thompson parts. It was definitely a pleasure to meet and talk with him as well. We even drooled over more than just Thompsons. Sorry guys, no pictures. The shoot was, as Mike mentioned, " a hoot." Don't mniss it !! I saw more full auto guns being shot in one place than ever before. Guns that most of us have only read about let alone get an oportunity to shoot. The mini guns were probably the most impressive; an awesome amount of firepower to see and hear. I saw one reweld Thompson, forgot if it was a 21 or 28, that was probably the worst reweld I had ever seen. It didn't even appear safe to shoot and the price was so high it must have been straight from a crack pipe. The tag proudly stated it was transferable !!

Never did find a non-crossbolt stock w/o metal at a reasonable price so I'm still looking.

One tip for anyone not making this KC event. Don't do as I did after each shooting session and head right back into the vender section. I nearly missed the opportunity to go onto the range and get an up close look at the smoking guns. I was unaware that they open the field for full frontal views of the weapons and a chance to pick up a souvenir bullet or two.

Which reminds me, Bullitt County, what a better County to have a machine gun shoot in !! I saw two BCSO cars but was unable to get a photo of either. Does anyone have a picture of one they could send me? My cruiser isn't nearly as sharp.

Mike, about what we talked about I'll trade you even for the one you're waiting on from your friend !!

Chuck

Chuck, That was for all three correct?

I missed going to the sub-gub lower range this time. Spend about 6 hours there and didn't walk down the hill! Did find a nice Reising I liked. I've been wanting one for awhile, maybe.............

Could swear Kent Lamont had a NY "L" drum for $950, but I didn't examine it. Pickins' were slim, Thompson parts wise. Sarco had nice minty cut up 1928 kits with horizontal forends. Didn't see an original military 1928 vertical forend on anyone's table. Saw plenty of repros. Found some nice MP40 bakelite though. Sarco had a stack of British made US pattern 1944 dated 50 round drum pouches for $100. Looks like someone bought most of them.

Here you Thompsons had a chance to shine, on a , not so easy course, in the Jungle Walk.........For Fri/Sat, two elderly gentlemen went thru with their M1 models, that was it. We ran 89 runs on Fri and almost 100 on Sat.

I know the Thompson shooters here on this thread, could have hammered the MP-5 shooters easily.....Think about it guys, for the next shoot; by then I'll have my W/Hurley(hey, that's my name!) there......Bob H.