Photo

Barrow Gang Joplin apartment re-opening!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Too many, all expensive.

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:07 PM

Stopped by on Saturday hoping to take a photo or two outside, and had the incredible luck of running into the new owners who were there working.  Very kind and gracious people. Gave us an indoor tour.  It will be opening as an "Air BnB" location sometime in the next few weeks, so if you're traveling through that corner of Missouri be sure to reserve the place and stay the night. 

Attached Files

#2 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

That's pretty awesome! :)

Rob

#3 OCM

OCM

Outlaw History Expert - Respected Member

• Board Donor
  • 2201 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars used by the 1930s outlaws,
    Collecting outlaw artifacts from the 30s, Brewing, BBQ ribs, old aircraft, massive tinkering, Etc....

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

Now that's a classic shot... Good for you. I don't recall any of my historian pals doing pictures in Joplin WITH a BAR.  

OCM 

#4 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Thanks Sandy.  That tall blonde drives the V8 and loads magazines for me.    

I like to think that we MAY have been the first to drag a 1918 BAR into that place since April of '33 but who knows...

I'll be staying the night down there when they open up...going to have to take a bunch of "correct" guns with me hah!  Need to find out what kind of shotguns they had.

#5 OCM

OCM

• Board Donor
  • 2201 posts
    Collecting outlaw artifacts from the 30s, Brewing, BBQ ribs, old aircraft, massive tinkering, Etc....

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

There is a list out there somewhere of the guns. Shotgun- pretty sure he had his " whippet " gun .  Someone here probably knows.

#6 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

That would make sense - I need to look at the gun photos found on the film they left behind.  I've got an 1899 Krag handy, and a Colt 1917 around here somewhere.  

Anyone know whether the "whippit" gun was a Remington 11 or a Browning Auto-5?  One of those is on the project list...

#7 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2587 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

USMC,

My money is on the Remington for a Whippet gun.

I seem to remember an agreement with Browning that the Remington's were to be sold in the US and Browning's were to be sold in Europe during that time period.

Jim C

#8 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

The Remingtons would definitely have been more common, but Browning/FN had begun importing the Auto-5 again by the mid 1920s.  My OCD would compel me to ensure I used the right gun when making one up...

#9 OCM

OCM

• Board Donor
  • 2201 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

I think it was a Remington 16 or 20 whippet. There was some confusion on the BAR with the local police, as these were military weapons, the local cops hadn't seen before. " Machine Gun Rifles "

Car was a 32 B-400 V8, convertible sedan. I've been in one , these are extremely small cars. I mean small. Think two door Ford Pinto size I guess. Your tall gal friend might have some issues pilling into that vehicle.

#10 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2587 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

USMC,

According to Thomas Swearinger in "The Worlds Fighting Shotguns", the gun in Bonnies hand when she died was a Remington model 11, ser no. 1011722, 20 ga.

The barrel was cut to 16.2 inches and the stock was cut behind pistol grip. It measured 30.7 inches OA. Its on display in Waco Tx.

Hope this helps.

Jim C

#11 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 06:38 AM

Thanks Jim!

Does anyone have a detailed "inventory" of the guns and other items collected from the Joplin apartment? I am sure the owners would find such a list interesting, and I'd be happy to pass along. 

#12 Motorcar

Motorcar

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 622 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

I like the period correct furnishings from the two interior shots, is the rest of the room vintage as well? Took me a bit to find the rest of the room.....good for you. ( I could never afford a real BAR is what I meant by that...)  :)

#13 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

Hi Motorcar,

Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with both the BAR and the display stand.  

As for the furnishings, I have a terrible eye for furniture so I can't say how "correct" it is, but the majority of the apartment has a "pre war flavor" to be sure.  The owners are still sprucing it up, and seem to be the kind of folks that will do it up right.  I look forward to booking a night or two down there when it opens.

#14 OCM

OCM

• Board Donor
  • 2201 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

If you want to be real authentic, cook some Red beans on your stay, that's what Bonnie was cooking when the trouble started. One of Clyde's favorites. I have the ( handwritten) recipe given to me by Marie Barrow. Marie said it was Cumie's recipe as Bonnie didn't cook that much. ( no place to cook usually )

The guns: as I recall, the Joplin guns were listed in a newspaper article by the local paper.  I may have the list but can't get to it now.

The Interior: I've had friends stay there in the past, including some of the family members. The owner then tried to keep it all period. The original front door is in a museum, I know author Jim Knight has the medicine cabinet.

The cars: I talked years ago to the original owner of the 32 Ford, Bob Rossbrough. When he got the insurance money for the car, he traded it for a new 34 Coupe. He told me it was a big mistake and laughed, but they were just crooks as far as he was concerned. He had no idea what happened to it. Buck's Marmon was given to the families of the officers killed. Cumie Barrow tried to get it back, but lost out.    

#15 Motorcar

Motorcar

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'm pretty happy with both the BAR and the display stand.  

As you should be!

From page 172 in Jeff Guinn's book "Go Down Together" the police found "a cache of guns in the garage. The arsenal included four rifles, a shotgun, a pistol, and "an automatic rifle similar to a submachine gun." It was a BAR, a weapon so unfamiliar to rank and file city policemen that the Joplin cops didn't know what it was."

#16 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2587 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Didn't Clyde have a cut down whippit BAR??

That could be a "automatic rifle similar to a submachine gun."

Jim C

#17 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 483 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

If you want to be real authentic, cook some Red beans on your stay, that's what Bonnie was cooking when the trouble started. One of Clyde's favorites. I have the ( handwritten) recipe given to me by Marie Barrow. Marie said it was Cumie's recipe as Bonnie didn't cook that much. ( no place to cook usually )

I eat red beans (and rice) all the time; like Clyde, it's one of my favorites. If you ever get in the mood to share that recipe, Sandy, I'd sure like to have a copy. ;)

Rob

#18 USMC0802

USMC0802

• Board Benefactor
  • 156 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

If you ever get in the mood to share that recipe, Sandy, I'd sure like to have a copy.

I second that!  A high quality digital scan of that recipe would be a superb touch, framed in the kitchen!  ;)

#19 OCM

OCM

• Board Donor
  • 2201 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

Sure, I know I have it somewhere, just got to sort thru the right box. Recovering from a knee issue, so a bit slow these days.

I've made it a couple times, your basic depression era Texas food, red beans and rice from Cumie Barrow & Bonnie Parker.  

Good thought USMC, had never thought of that, Bonnie's Red Bean recipe mounted in the kitchen.. Sounds like something I'd do. Then have a bag of Red Beans sitting on the counter.

This will be a needle in a haystack thing, I run across Marie's recipe once and awhile, to hunt will be hard, but we may get lucky.  

Edited by OCM, 02 September 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#20 OCM

OCM

• Board Donor
  • 2201 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

I asked Jim Knight about the Joplin guns. He said he doesn't think anyone knows for sure what guns were left. A family member, that had an " in " he said, tried to get a list from the Joplin PD but was unsuccessful. Maybe best to go with the pictures found in Blanche's purse, ones with the 32 Ford B-400.

I think there was some confusion on just where Clyde's BAR " scattergun" came from, displayed at the Mo. State Highway Patrol. Also some confusion about the local newspaper saying it was a Tommy gun, but found out that belonged to the police, but saying they recovered a machine gun rifle ( BAR )

I'm not 100% on this but close.

Probably if totally confused, use a Whippet gun ( your flavor) , a BAR and a few 1911s. That would satisfy the general public probably.

OCM