New in Wrapper 30 Round Mag?

Showed a fellow collector my 1928 today and he gave me this magazine. Don't plan on opening it but wondering how hard they are to come by new in the wrapper. And curious why dated 1954, repacked maybe?

post-175-0-41673000-1552087089_thumb.jpg

post-175-0-66064100-1552087110_thumb.jpg

They are getting harder to find in the wrapper, but they are still out there. You are correct, repacked for long-term storage in 1954. Many were repackaged for storage after WWII and Korea.

I bought a box of similar mags maybe 16-17 years ago....think they came out to about 9 bucks each....before prices started getting crazy!

And new mags closed out by Tapco 15 years ago at....six bucks each (new rewrapped in newspaper and cosmoline). Think I bought fifty? The Sten mags were $3 each and I grabbed a hundred of those!

Wish I'd found deals on drums like that!

I bought a bunch,about 125, 30 rd carbine mags and about 20 , 30 rd TSMG mags in original wrap and found many badly pitted.

The mags in greased paper were alright, the mags in red paper were the problem.

Jim C

Jim is 100% correct. I used to buy the wrapped (red wax wrapper) mags in the day for Thompson and carbine and sell them. Many complaints about rust. Had to send them back at the time.

Eric

1.JPG

Edited by Normal1959

A dealer in the UK that I know well, has received hundreds of Thompson magazines recently, all appear to be AO or Seymour he advises me, but some are still in their wrappers, £25 each.

Chests of Mags.JPG 30 rnd in wrappers.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

A dealer in the UK that I know well, has received hundreds of Thompson magazines recently, all appear to be AO or Seymour he advises me, but some are still in their wrappers, £25 each.

attachicon.gif Chests of Mags.JPG attachicon.gif 30 rnd in wrappers.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

OK you win one of the best mag pictures ever.

Eric

Seems like about 15 years ago Northridge or What A Country was selling 30 round sticks on the cheap. They were stacks of 5 or 10 repackaged, dipped in cosmoline, wrapped, then dipped in hot wax and then wrapped in aluminum foil. You could have stored them at the bottom of a lake and still been fine to use. I was going to keep them wrapped but couldn't stand it, they were all very good to excellent but certainly not "new in the wrapper."

attachicon.gif Chests of Mags.JPG attachicon.gif 30 rnd in wrappers.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

OK you win one of the best mag pictures ever.

Eric

Yikes !! Yup that pic takes the prize