Wolf Ammo

I know this ammo may have been brought up before, but I was told there were some instances at Knob Creek where Wolf ammo had caused some expensive damage to MGs. It was said that the steel cases are coated with lacquer, and high heat from high rates of fire cause the lacquer to melt and gum up the workings.

Never heard of this before, has anyone else??

Only problem I've ever had was that it's dirty and, in a .223 M16 (closed bolt) the melting of the laquer has been a problem twice on mine. I just bought 500 rds of Wolf for Thomas last weekend. I prefer brass case but $ dictate else on ocation.

My $.02

giantpanda4,....Wolf .223 most definetly will melt sealer all over you chamber and jam!...been there,done that...so far no damage,but lots of down time cleaning when I should have been shootin`. It gets pretty scary trying to pry open a loaded a hot mg.Maybe Wolf works better in semi mode...never tried it there. 9mm works good in Sten,Sterling,MP40,UZI,etc. My .02.out.

I had 3 fail to fire on my last case of Wolf 45. No problems at all with several cases of .223 in M16s, and all that was the laquer type ammo. The new polymer coating is supposed to solve the melted laquer problem.

leid

Lacquer not an issue with 45acp. New polymer coating (silver) is supposed to be very good in hot barrels of rifle caliber.

I have not had a problem with the ammo in my 28, however in my kimber target handguns it is dirty and after 50 or so rounds the rounds won't chamber all the way to allow the slide to close. In 223 it works great in the M16. Still is dirty....

MGM and I have run several thousand rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 through the Iraqi AK-47 the was presented to the ship last year by our Marines. It stays in the ship's armory and only comes out for "training":-) Anyway, the Wolf ammo runs great, the only laquer we have melted is that on the wooden foregrip! Too bad it will have to be dewatted later this year, it is a nice piece.

Regards,

Earle

The amount of ‘draft’ present on the 7.62x39mm case along with the large extractor and voluminous gas system makes the AK work with just abut anything- great design.

In ‘72 the Skipper used to shoot at flying fish off the coast of Vietnam with an m1 carbine from the flying bridge; I actually saw him dump one once! I didn’t have the grits to ask for a turn. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

I've shot a lot of Wolf in my Bridgeport (not to mention several other guns....) and it works well. It is really DIRTY burning powder and the lacquer does gum up the chamber. Normally the gun slows down when it gets dirty (you can hear it throttle back!) and then it starts to jam (cartridges don't go into battery). With other ammo, a quick squirt of breakfree or Gunscrubber and she's going again, but with Wolf, I have to scrub the chamber with a brush and clean it out.

Also had one ejector go bad with the steel casings (corner chipped off the front edge) and the gun would throw empties a few inches, instead of 15 feet! Also had a couple stovepipe jams due to this. Fortunately I have several spare ejectors, so I'll keep shooting the Wolf as long as it remains cheap!

I'm wondering how the Silver Bear ammo shoots??

john