Walked On Hallowed Ground

Returned from the trip of a life time this past week. I was privileged to walk on Iwo Jima with 87 veterans of that battle. I'll never forget it.

I went to place a plaque in memory of my Uncle who was killed on Iwo. Ended up meeting a vet who was in my Uncle's company and we visited the beach where he and my Uncle landed. He related to me how he was carrying an M1 when he landed, but when a tank was knocked out near him, he took a thompson off a dead crew member and that's what he carried until he was wounded by shrapnel in early March. Said that Thompson saved his life more than once on Iwo.

I got to meet Jack Lucas, one of only three remaining medal of honor recipients on Iwo. He dove on a Japanese hand grenade to save four of his buddies and lived to tell about it.

I also met Teddy Draper, one of the Navajo code talkers who was on Iwo. He was wounded by shrapnel during the battle. It was heart wrenching to watch him sob as he leaned on the Division Cemetary Monument on Iwo.

On the Continental 737 flight to Iwo, the pilot asked if he could leave the door open so he could "be a part of the group" since he was a former Marine. Everyone agreed and he invited us to come up and spend some time with him. Got some great video while up there behind the captain's seat.

Also hung out with R. Lee Ermie while on the trip. He was doing a segment of Mail Call on Iwo. Got some good Vietnam war stories to supplement the WWII stuff.

It was an honor to be able to spend a week with those Iwo vets. A greater group of guys I've never met. Kept my video camera rolling and got some war stories I can listen to over and over again.

Enjoyed hearing of your adventure and glad that we commemorate those survivors, while they are still with us.

What a WONDERFUL opportunity. Thank you for taking the time and money to honor those that fought and died for us! I am certain the vets appreciated your presence and the opportunity to share with someone who cares.

It sounds like you could create quite a documentary of your trip. Any more stories or pictures you are willing to share would be most appreciated.

THANK YOU! You improved my day immensely.

Roger

That sounds like a trip of a lifetime...thank you for sharing it here....salute... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Thanks 85th Engineer! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif That is a great story and the photos bring it all home, 60 years later, especially the one with Jim Huff holding that shell fragment. This is going to be quite a year of WWII 60th anniversaries: VE Day, the "Trinity Detonation" on July 16th, the A-bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and, finally, VJ Day. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter