MP40 on Armslist

I don't know either this gun or the seller and the price seems way too good to be true so the ad may be a scam/fake. If it is for real it may be worth checking out

http://www.armslist.com/classifieds/search?sellertype=1&search=MP40&location=ohio&category=guns&posttype=1&ships=

Edited by StrangeRanger

do you think someone would sell a $22k gun for $7 ? ...matching numbers too!!! a true gem as so very,very few are matching numbers..

now i do know someone who bought a mac for $5500 when the market was $7500...just because it was an older guy who isnt internet savvy...but i think those cases are rare

its truely where the bargains are though....i think your at 2% chance $7k is real

i emailed him...ill drive over tomorrow to see it...OH is a days drive...for 1/3rd price ill bring cash and come home with the lower/barrel

ill let you know his excuse why i cant come to see it...my guess is its stored at a relatives house and he doesnt have access to it right now

parts kits alone are $3,000 for a really nice one

Edited by huggytree

he has been emailed

ive asked for a few pics and a copy of the form 4

ive asked if i can come tomorrow to see it....ill fly or drive to OH tomorrow with $7k in my pocket......if he is busy working ill make it $7500 to cover his lost work day.

he wont respond...if he would have priced it at $15,000 for matching numbers (assume c&r) then it could be possible...but at $7 it just cant be

if its got a form 4 i would even take it cut in 1/2

>...... a true gem as so very,very few are matching numbers.<

Not sure what you mean by this but, with all due respect, as a generization it certainly is not true in my experience with Mp38/40s.

The majority of the many registered C+R MP40s and even including welded reman guns that I have reactivated, repaired, restored, owned and handled have been complete and with matching numbers, except, of course, for the parts that were not numbered. A fairer and more useful assessment or generalization might be to consider that as the values of MGs have increased so dramatically since the sixties that many of the guns showing up on the market these days, which would not have been considered of much value years ago, are not in the best of condition and might have some mismatched parts. High values, Such as fair condition MPs bringing plus or minus $20k, makes it easy to assume that they represent most MPs, but that is a mistake as it is for many, many other types of MGs. There are always exceptions and anomaliesof course which is what makes it all so interesting. I had a beautiful, pristine MP40 for a while that had mismatched upper and lower, a real travesty. Another that appeared almost unfired had a bulged barrel! There are others, but mostly the MPs represented in the NFRTR that I have had the privilege to handle under so many varied circumstances have mostly been complete and matching. This is a great boon to MG collectors in my opinion given the huge popularity of the type. FWIW

• Upvote 1

In the past 2 years Ive seen 1-2 matching numbers mp40s for sale

And I dont think either looked very good

Im sure there are a hundred + in collections not for sale

But the vast majority are tube guns or non matching c&rs

Youve seen many more than me. Show me 1 or 2 for sale now that are matching ?

I could show you 5 that arent

I spent 7k on a Wilson tube back in 2002. Sold it for close to 10k around 2007. Huggy, this would be the deal of the decade and hope you get it, but also think this is Scam city.

Keep us updated on the seller's response please!!

Edited by NFA amnesty

Seller runs his business out of his home, or so it appears as his licensed premises address is the same as his residential address. I received copies of his FFL/SOT listing that address as his premises, so they appear to be legitimate. I don't understand why the ad noted Dayton, OH.

I asked for a copy of the F3 but have not received it. He claims that the low price of the MP40 is due to giving up his FFL/SOT so he wants to get rid of his inventory fast. He is an FFL01/SOTIII and can certainly keep whatever MGs are in his inventory on giving up his license, except post-Mays, so this story doesn't wash, in my opinion. What's the reason for giving up $10k to move inventory fast that can be kept?? FWIW

if he wants to get rid of it fast why didnt he respond to me?

i said id come over the next day to look it over....id buy a plane ticket to TX w/ $8k in my pocket

i asked for a copy of the stamp

im begging him to take my money...just need to see the gun in person

if it was legit? it would be sold in 1 day

he's probably has(5) $8,000 checks in his mailbox for it today....he laughs while he walks down to his mailbox

The alleged seller bumped the ad this morning so I'm not at all sure what he's up to.

He's had at least one firm offer that we know of (huggytree) and probably a few more.

Very suspicious

UPDATE:

I was telling a friend of mine the story of this post and he said about a year ago he tried to do a gun deal with an unbelievably good price from a guy in Dayton and got the same song-and-dance about the gun is in TX. My friend has lots of family and friends all over that state and asked where exactly so he could have someone check it out. The "seller" was never heard from again. Don't know it it's the same guy but....

Edited by StrangeRanger

someone from Nigeria didnt get their $8k mailed to them.....

we all see scams...i wonder how many get screwed?

no one is gonna brag they lost $15,000

ill bet it happens weekly to someone

every time i post a WTB on gunboards i get hit once or twice by scammers. if you ask for pics it typically ends it, but once in a while they try to send you a pic. often its not even close to the part your looking for. They do it, someone falls for it

This very ad popped up on WV armslist. I emailed the guy, didn't get the story. But, email came back from Piney Woods Arms. I googled them. Got their number. Called them...First thing that the woman said was...We DON'T have an MP-40! DO NOT SEND MONEY!!

Wow. She said that they had been getting many calls about the gun. In the mean time, I had asked the "seller" for a copy of their FFL and more pictures. Sure enough, next day, I got about 8 more pictures, including 2 pictures of a copy of their FFL. I called them back, Piney Woods arms. Said, I talked to you yesterday, she responds again with do not send any money! I told her that I was emailed pictures, including what appeared to be their legit FFL. She said that the numbers on what I received was wrong, and that they were in contact with the BATFE. I forwarded the email on to them in Texas.

Of course I flagged both the WV ad, and the Ohio Ad. First thing when I saw the WV ad, I was ready to get in my car and drive with my C3 dealer with cash in hand. The old adage, if it looks like it's too good to be true...Well, it is.