M1a1 And M3

I found an individual that has a very nice M1A1 and a Nickle plated M3 Grease Gun.

I know the market price for the M1A1 but dont have a clue what the M3 is worth. It is a very nice Nickle plate job. I need to know what to offer and should I have the nickle removed and parkerized. Both guns have some documented History of being used by the police during some significant events in the 1960's.

The nickel job on the "Greaser" would surely impact the value of the weapon. There are enough of them on the market to eschew this "El Presidente" version. But since you were not after an M3 in original finish, and since the original finish is long gone and cannot be retrieved, you might as well save some dough and leave it as is.

Arthur,

You are right and that may be what I do. I cant imagine why anyone would wany to nickle plate any gun especially a SMG. I guess the guy that owned it had a big ego and was involved with some very ignorant and racist people in the early 1960's, so maybe it was a status symbol to have a Nickle plated SMG and a big plug to tobacco. The gun does havean interesting history so maybe I'll just leave it as is. Maybe when at the range I could wear a Panama hat. You seem to be on top of things so with a documented history of the gun being involved in a nefarious history should I leave alone.

Thanks

Charles

You can likely have the nickel plating removed through electrolytic process (and thus no buffing out any remaining markings!) IIRC, doesn't Brownell's sell a nickel removing solution too? (I'm too lazy to dig my Brownell's catalogue out from downstairs.)

Arizona Response Systems charges $30 in conjunction with a refinish to remove nickel. Check out the language under finishes.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

Might be worth $30 to avoid the hassle and have the liability shifted elsewhere.

Ken

Is it an M3 or M3A1? There is value difference of at least 3k between the two.

QUOTE (philasteen @ Feb 24 2005, 10:27 AM)
Transferable M3s are harder to find than M3A1s and are worth more.  Far fewer M3s made then M3A1s.

I think it's the other way around. According to Frank's grease gun book the Guide Lamp A1 models only number around 15 thousand by the time the war ended. Production started up again after Korea by Ithaca to replenish depleted stocks Most of the A1's stayed in inventory while some of the M3 models went out surplus to law enforcement agencies.

I sold this M3 for 12k last summer.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/181077.JPG

They look cool with a suppressor!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/194706.JPG

Who made the supressor. The gun I think is a M3, dosent the A1 have a hole in the bolt for cocking and the M3 has a cocking knob. Or am I totall wrong.

I hope to see the guns again next week.

QUOTE (cavediver @ Feb 25 2005, 08:40 PM)
Who made the supressor. The gun I think is a M3, dosent the A1 have a hole in the bolt for cocking and the M3 has a cocking knob. Or am I totall wrong.
I hope to see the guns again next week.

TL Guns made the suppressor, they are no longer in business. It works excellent and unlike some of the other Grease Gun cans out there it can be dissassembled for cleaning. It is also a few inches shorter than the other silencers I've seen.

You are totally right, the M3 has a bolt cocking handle. The M3A1 version does not, you must use your finger or thumb to cock the weapon.

You won't get your "cocking finger" dirty with powder residue with the M3 model! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif