Savage 1928A1 Barrel and Compensator Sought

I own a Savage 1928a1, manufactured in September 1942. It's a complete, original gun.

I use it as a shooter, and frequently partner with local firearms organizations to make it available for fundraisers, etc. (somewhat like a "rent-a-gun" but in this instance it's "make a donation to the org being supported" and you can run a mag or two through it). So far we've raised around 20K for Friends of the NRA, The One Team One Fight org, the Navy Seal Foundation, and the Special Forces Foundation. Because of this it probably has had 25K - 35K+ rounds put through it.
When cleaning it recently, the barrel seems as if it is getting larger.... I now use bore brushes for .50 cals and have to stack up 3 patches up on the .45 cal jag in order for them to reasonably snug when going through the bore. In looking at the rifling it appears to be fairly worn, so I'm thinking that it may be time for a new barrel. It still shoots fairly well though.
Prior to my purchasing it, it appears that someone used a pipe wrench to try to remove the comp, and it has some marks on each side from the wrench jaws.
I'm interested in obtaining a NOS barrel and comp that would be correct for a September 1942 mfg Savage. This gun is a shooter - not a safe queen - but since it is all original other than shooting it I don't want to do anything to diminish it's value or authenticity.
Paul Krogh will most likely perform the rebarrel, but he is out of NOS barrels and I'd like to keep it original.
Can anybody suggest some good sources for a replacement barrel? Mine is not finned.
Thanks much.
Scott

I would contact philidelphia ordanence (reconbob on machine gun board) and see what he has, he has 1928 fined and m1 barrels on his website, if he doesn't have any and gunbroker doesn't eather you could always thread a NOS M1/M1A1 barrel for a comp

I would contact philidelphia ordanence (reconbob on machine gun board) and see what he has, he has 1928 fined and m1 barrels on his website, if he doesn't have any and gunbroker doesn't eather you could always thread a NOS M1/M1A1 barrel for a comp

+1 on Bob for the NOS barrel. But like 1952HRA said, if he only has M1 barrels, you could just thread it.

Let us know if you can get one, because I think I might know another source if Bob doesn't have.

Andrew

Edited by Adg105200

Hi Scott,

Just a thought. If the gun shoots and the bullets go through the target nose first, I'd leave it alone. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with running a worn barrel on a subgun if it still maintains accuracy. I've got an MP-28 with no rifling 1/2 way down the bore. I can still hit a 4x4 inch steel plate a 25 yards all day long.

At the same time, I think this would be a good time to purchase a spare barrel. The days of the $450 Thompson parts kits are gone and unlikely to ever return. We are all aware of what limited supply and increasing demand does for prices.

Good luck with your quest,

Grasshopper

The thing to look out for with a very worn barrel is that eventually the gun will

short recoil due to powder gases not being tightly sealed by the bullet in the bore.

If it gets bad the gun can double or even run away as The bolt recoils far enough

to pick up a cartridge, but not far enough to be hold by the sear.

I have a few MINT-in-wrap barrels for M1928A1. Just about all of then have

the square S being made by Steves but this should be correct for your gun.

The current price is $325 plus postage. The website is broken and I am in

the process of having it completely re-done.

Bob/Phila Ord

The thing to look out for with a very worn barrel is that eventually the gun will

short recoil due to powder gases not being tightly sealed by the bullet in the bore.

If it gets bad the gun can double or even run away as The bolt recoils far enough

to pick up a cartridge, but not far enough to be hold by the sear.

I have a few MINT-in-wrap barrels for M1928A1. Just about all of then have

the square S being made by Steves but this should be correct for your gun.

The current price is $325 plus postage. The website is broken and I am in

the process of having it completely re-done.

Bob/Phila Ord

Hi Bob, thanks for the info. I called earlier today and left you a voicemail. Look forward to talking with you.

Scott

• 3 months later...

The new barrel's arrived last week. The term "MINT" that Bob used is not an exaggeration either...

THANK YOU RECONBOB!!!!!

I think that it's great to be able to log into this forum seeking a source for a 75 year old part, and referrals end up providing me with original OEM parts still wrapped!

Thanks all for the advice.

Scott

ps. I found the replacement comp on Gunbroker. It's in better condition then the "pipe wrench special" that is currently on the gun.

replacement barrel.jpg

• Upvote 1