Nice M2

shadycon,

we are talking about a military weapon of war, not a Winchester pigeon grade trap gun.

Jim C

In my opinion someone did a very bad job sanding the stock. It can be cleaned up to look nice. That weapon did not come all scratched up from a poor sanding job from the military. What is wrong with fixing someone else's mistake to make a fine weapon look correct?

shadycon,

The stock has a visible ordnance acceptance stamp on the right side in front of the oiler cutout.

This tells me little or no sanding took place after acceptance.

Its a birch stock made by Hillerich or Overton and they did the sanding and staining.

I have an identical stock on one of my 6 million Inlands.

If you also have such a stock and want to improve, have at it. You might also have the carbine blued while your at it.

Jim C

Those do not look like sanding marks to me. More likely just scrapes from previous hard use. Like Jim I don't think the stock has been resanded much if at all but at some time someone has slapped a coat of way too shiny finish on it.

I guess the only way to know for sure is a personal look,but that will not happen so let's move on. Folks have their own opinions which is good when it does not turn into an argument. Have a nice day! Gene K. ;)

The M2s are on the right end. With the 30 rd Mags. One WIN, One Inland. original , M2 Marked and C&R ( The WIN is an overstamp) the rest are various M1 makers, none import marked, but some have been arsenal rebuilt. I

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

• Upvote 1

MG08,

Very nice collection.

The carbine was my first love and I have owned at least one since 1960.

.When I was a preteen my father took the family to a Sportsman show in Cleveland. The Army or Marines had a display of Korea era firearms.

I was only strong enough to lift 2 guns, the 45 and the carbine. I told my father that I intended to own one someday

My father gave me an Inland when I was 16. Still have it.

When I arrived in VN I bought 2 off the record guns from another soldier ,-an M1A1 TSMG and a M2 carbine. passed both on to another soldier when I rotated.

Guess I'd better close before I bore you.

Jim C

I always like hearing about other's experiences..... pics are even better. I had guys in my Detachment ( I was OIC) in the late 70s early 80s with Bring back stuff from RVN. I am going to guess that there is a lot more in closets than people think. Just in my guys there were several AKs, and a ratty Thompson.

Jim, I share your affinity for carbines; bought my 1st one when I was 18, albeit it was a Universal. I sold that a few years later and got an Iver Johnson which I really enjoyed. The fact that you still have that Inland that your father gave you is a great story in itself. And arsenal rebuilds are just 1 instance where parts are swapped out like crazy. Makes it interesting to say the least.

Ron

Ron,

Since you like that story I'll tell you the rest of the story.

My father was partners in a 2 man machine back in the 50's.

When he needed machines moved in or out he hired a person with a heavy duty truck.

One fine day my father was at the truckers, looking at some machines. leaning against the wall in the barn was the barreled action of an M1 carbine.

My father was issued a carbine during the War so he recognized it immediately.

My father inquired if the carbine was for sale and the trucker said he could have it free.

The carbine was missing the stock, hand guard, bolt and magazine. It was covered with very light rust, but no pitting. It is an early Inland, #104,108, and was blued rather than parkerized.

After teasing me for a few weeks my father finally gave it to me, and I went to work. I cleaned up the rust and took it to Parker Rust Proof in Cleveland, Ohio, to be parkerized.

I bought a bolt and other parts from Numrich Arms. I remember the Bolt cost $2.00 complete. Ended up with a nice looking carbine.

When my father died in 1999 I inherited another Inland carbine.

Jim C

The M2s are on the right end. With the 30 rd Mags. One WIN, One Inland. original , M2 Marked and C&R ( The WIN is an overstamp) the rest are various M1 makers, none import marked, but some have been arsenal rebuilt. I

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

MG08 - nice collection of M1s and M2s! I always enjoy looking at your pictures!

• 1 month later...