Sand Down a Collapsible Stock or buy another M1 Carbine

Purchased a old collapsible stock set for a M1 Carbine thinking it would fit on a Universal M1 Carbine and thought wrong.

I've been thinking of getting another M1 Carbine again anyway but a little on the fence of either just sanding away the excess to fit the Universal trigger housing or buying an Inland or National Ordnance Rifle, or an "upper even" that uses USGI parts.

Just asking to see what people think or if any of yall got stuff to sell haha.

Thanks though.

If I were to be limited to only one of my long guns, I would choose my NPM M1 GI carbine ... Has never failed me, and still accurate enough to shoot and place in carbine matches even if it is 77 years old. Additionally, it's nothing to carry weight wise which is important when you're old.

Find a nice GI carbine.

Bayrain,

I really have no clue what you are talking about from your post, so I must ask, are you talking about an original USGI M1A1 folding stock???

If you are, it would be a sacrilege to put any carbine in it other than a original US GI carbine, preferably an Inland Div.

On the other hand if your "collapsible" Is some kind of a goofy commando mark whatever, then it doesn't matter what you put in it.

Post a picture of your stock for further advice.

Jim C

I couldn't find out what this kind of stock was called but it doesn't fold, and it "collapses" sort of. It's in great condition and just covered in dust no dings or scratches. I don't know anything about the value of this "piece of wood and wire stock", it'd be easy to reproduce something like this haha.

http://imgur.com/a/RXxwHsQ

http://imgur.com/a/Crv0sqW

http://imgur.com/a/hTrR6er

Bayrain,

What you have is a commercial product for those who want a commando looking item with no collectors value.

No Collector will care what you do with it.

As far as fitting it to a Universal carbine, I can only say, the Universal is the least popular of all the repro carbines and fitting the stock to this carbine may lower the value of the stock.

Thanks for the pics, sorry for the bad news.

Jim C

That's also what I was thinking. Couldn't find any information on it and it's kinda neat.

The Universal M1 Carbine only cost me $650 and works great, besides the lack of the GI spec trigger housing for this new stock.

Are the recent Inland reproductions made with Similar USGI spec parts like their older productions?

And heard iffy reviews on the Auto Ordnance M1 Carbines as well, not exactly worth the $1500 brand new in most cases.

I have a similar rig in a plainfield configuration. A few years ago the advice would have been to spend a couple hundred more on a GI carbine and that would be the easy route. Today with skyrocketing carbine prices I'd say do what you have to do with the stock to make it work, since dropping 1200 or more on a GI carbine to put in that stock would be a bad idea IMO. That stock will have more value if it's cut for a GI carbine than it does now.....even though the value is pretty low already.

I don't follow carbine values much, but apparently a bunch of beaters were imported and somehow that drove prices up? I don't get that, nor the 40-$150+ price tags I saw on magazines at SOS the other day?

I'm not into commercial carbines, only US WW2 guns.

So that's all I can advise to buy.

If you have gun shows in your area I would attend them and hold out for a original.

If no gun shows then watch the net for a good one.

Hope fully someone else here own one of the current reproductions and can better advise you.

Jim C

For what it's worth, a brief evaluation of the current and former commercial carbine manufacturers

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbines.html

From what the authors of that site, the Carbine Collectors' Club, have to say, the now out of production Springfield (bare receivers) or the current Fulton (either receivers or complete guns) are by far the best options.

If I didn't already have a GI carbine, I'd be looking real hard at a Fulton receiver

Edited by StrangeRanger

That is actually a good functional stock. Doesn't have the history etc, but it is very stable and can make a small package. I have one on a M2 Carbine.

Bullseye M2.jpg Bullseye M2 extd.jpg

Sandman1957

Yeah Inland reproductions don't look so good as well, lot of QC issues and expensive.

I was really hoping to get a GI carbine but they are just so expensive now and it's crazy. A Fulton reciever looks great but $360 stripped is a lot.

And that M2 looks great, if I could I'd get a shorter M1 Carbine with a flash hider to put on the stock, but tax stamp or Inland Advisor haha.

Ah see this is what I was asking about. I was going to go and buy a dremel tool tomorrow when someone else could use this better than I could.

Yeah I'll sell it, just got to clean it up in the morning and stuff, it does have a handguard but they do not match.