Transfer Process NFA out of State

sc269

This has been asked a gazillion times. But I can't find readily the answer. It's for the well versed NFA transfer members. I'm selling an M-16, that currently on a Form 4. What are the steps that must occur to deliver to a buyer OOS. I do not have an FFL. I figure at most 2 stamps, but maybe not. Any help is appreciated.

Pretty basic like you said as I just did this on a form 4 from an out of state individual to my dealer in state = one stamp, and then dealer to me = second stamp. So make contact with the buyer's dealer and he will walk you through it but that's pretty much it.

You will need a copy of the buyer's dealer FFL/SOT for your records and for his info to fill out the Form 4s for transfer out from you to the dealer. You must use the newly issued three set packet of F4s. Tax paid F4 out from you to dealer in buyer's state. Only front side of the F4s is filled out, meaning no photos, CLEO, fingerprint cards, etc. Only fill out the front side of the first two sets of forms of the three in the new packet, as the CLEO notification set is not needed.

Make a copy to keep for your records of the F4 application, just in case there is any glitch with ATF, and when you get the approved F4 back, make a copy of that for your records.

Original copy of approved F4 goes with gun to dealer.

Ship gun either FED-EX express or USPS, but not UPS. UPS prohibits shipment of MGs.

• Upvote 1

The thing to keep in mind and help understand the forms and transfer process, is that the gun is not "on" a form. IF- the gun is being transferred between two FFL/ SOT holders, it transfers tax free on a form 3. It does not matter what form it is "on" now. If either of the of the parties are NOT FFL/ SOT holders, then it transfers on a form 4 tax paid. So if you are selling the gun out of state, it can go direct from you (non SOT) to a dealer (SOT) tax paid. Then he transfers to buyer (assumes buyer is not another SOT) on a tax paid form 4.