Sahara movie scene.

One of my favorite films, Here is a post from a few years ago that I made. There actually was a very large thread on this film but it was so long ago that it does not appear to have been saved,

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

Here are a few more pictures of "Sahara" from my collection. The film was shot in the Mojave desert on the south end of the Salton Sea. To play the column of German soldiers that were dying of thirst, men from the 4th Armored Division of The U.S. Army were recruited as part of their maneuvers.

When asked which of his film appearances was he most proud of Bogy usually responded "Sahara", I think that says something about the quality of this film.

Kurt Kruger who played the downed Luftwaffe pilot Captain Von Schletow, found the acting on this set a little too realistic at times. In the scene where he escapes captivity by running away over the sand dunes, he nearly lost his life. When the Sudanese soldier, played by big Rex Ingram gets on top of him and pushes Kurt's head into the sand and suffocates him, it nearly happened for real as Kurt passed out because Ingram got a bit carried away.

A very early film appearance by Lloyd Bridges as the British soldier who gets shot by the strafing plane. Great stuff, for those of you who have yet to see this film your missing a good one. Lots of Tommygun action too!

Mike Hammer

Attached Thumbnails
  • post-211-0-88717400-1434136845_thumb.jpg
  • post-211-0-43871200-1434136863_thumb.jpg
  • post-211-0-07811200-1434136884_thumb.jpg
  • post-211-0-26836200-1434136902_thumb.jpg

"There is no cure for birth and death, sa

• Upvote 1

A great WW2 film ! Subtle propaganda, great acting, lots of real "action" whats not to like ?

Some minor inconsistencies like German Soldiers using '03 Springfield rifles, guess they did not have enought 98 Mausers for the extras.

Great cast, great director. Beware the edited version some cable networks show late at night. Certain lingo and scenes are cut.

I own a copy and every time I watch it I freeze the Thompson scenes to try and figure out the Front Sling Swivel mounted on the Barrel.

It looks to have a British Enfield Canvas Sling if I remember.

With Bogart's Thompson, with the Vertical Grip the Sling was not mounted to the Grip.

I know the British used a 2pc Enfield Sling Swivel with an Off Set Swivel Loop when mounted on the Thompson Vertical Grip...I found a few and plan to put on a Repro Vertical Grip.

Edited by jojeep

I own a copy and every time I watch it I freeze the Thompson scenes to try and figure out the Front Sling Swivel mounted on the Barrel.

It looks to have a British Enfield Canvas Sling if I remember.

With Bogart's Thompson, with the Vertical Grip the Sling was not mounted to the Grip.

I know the British used a 2pc Enfield Sling Swivel with an Off Set Swivel Loop when mounted on the Thompson Vertical Grip...I found a few and plan to put on a Repro Vertical Grip.

Here is a previous discussion that we had on that particular sling mount.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16268&hl=%2Bbruce+%2Bbennett&do=findComment&comment=135636

Thanks, I looked up that Swivel by Uncle Mike's, after reading thread, I'm not the only one thinking it would slip off or move around and scratch the Barrel. It good to know that Sling Swivel option is out there.

I have to wonder if the Movie Thompson had the Front Swivel Brazed/ Silver Solder onto the Barrel, the Band goes completely around the Barrel, where Uncle Mike's Brand is open on Top.

Thanks again

Thanks, I looked up that Swivel by Uncle Mike's, after reading thread, I'm not the only one thinking it would slip off or move around and scratch the Barrel. It good to know that Sling Swivel option is out there.

I have to wonder if the Movie Thompson had the Front Swivel Brazed/ Silver Solder onto the Barrel, the Band goes completely around the Barrel, where Uncle Mike's Brand is open on Top.

Thanks again

I had the swivel on my gun for several years, there was no evidence of any markings on the barrel when I removed it. I found that I really wasn't using the sling anyway. Perhaps the best over all option if you will be using a sling on your gun is to do the British style mount to the front vertical grip.

@ Mike Hammer. I plan to do that. I purchased a Repro Vertical Grip from Sarco and sanded the finger contour better. Purchased the correct British Off Set Loop Sling Swivel. Plan to inlet the wood so the Swivel Base sits flush when mounted on the Right Side.

The British Enfield Sling Swivel is a 5pc affair, Base, Swivel Screw, Swivel and 2 wood screws