OOW M2-SLR

• 1 month later...

OOW M2-SLR went BOOM | 1919 A4 Forums

They were supposed to have called me last Friday with what they found on it. I have yet to receive a call other than the one I made last week trying to get information as it had been back to them for over two weeks now.....well today makes it three weeks since its been back......read some of the other threads on 1919 forum on the M2-SLR and recent issuse/discoveries and I'll let you decide. I'm beyond fed up with OOW at this point, but I'm going to let them call me as I know if I call them, the mood I'm in at this point, it would NOT be a nice call.

No other M2-SLR KA-BOOM's have been reported but had the one guy shot his, it sure as $hit would have been bad.

I personally love how it was instantly my fault that I had somehow screwed up setting the headspace when I setup the gun. The only problem with that theroy is that I got half a belt out of it before it went boom.....had I set it wrong from the word go, it wouldn't have made it 5 rounds before it blew up.

I know of 5 guys who were looking really hard at ordering OOW M240-SLR's and 3 guys who were seriously considering M2-SLR's but now, every single person has said the same thing-"if this is how they treat people then they don't need my money"

John,

I never thought for a minute that you were at fault. You are way to careful following instructions and procedures.

Did you post a photo of the cartridge that was in the gun at time of failure?/ If you did, I over looked it.

Jim C

Jim-I didnt post the case that blew. I can tell you it was a DM 43 or 44 as the entire belt was surplus WWII DM API and 1970s LC tracer linked 4:1

I sent a sample of the brass, the blown case, and a section of the ammo from the belt that I was firing.

John,

OK. Without seeing the blown case ,I really couldn't guess whether the ammo or gun was defective, but I'd lean toward a high pressure cartridge.

One of the members who posted above, mentioned how 75 years of handling caused the powder to break down and create a high pressure round.

If the cartridge was the cause, the warranty may be void.

In any case, best of luck.

Jim C

PS, OOW may have sent remaining cartridges to a lab for pressure testing. Could be the reason for not getting back to you.

Edited by jim c 351

I asked them if there was any restriction on ammunition and they told me I coood shoot anything that was 50 BMG out of it, new production or surplus.

What many are looking at is that the barrel unscrewed itself as there was an M2-SLR that appears to be in the same lot as mine was, that had bad parts which allowed the barrel to be unscrewed while in battery.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the saga is partly over....OOW called yesterday and told me that the gun was repaired under warranty and was ready for pickup. When I got there, Al came out and apologized for it taking so long, stating that should have never happened. It appears that the parts that were supposed to be used for rebuilding my gun ended up being used on a different gun and they had to wait for another batch of parts to be machined. That being said, I was also given a can of M33 linked Ball Ammo for the trouble.

Now to the part that bothers me, but itll go down as my own personal who shot Kennedy what happened-why did it happen, and how do I keep it from happening again....they told me they have no idea as to why the gun went Ka-Boom as it could have been:

Operator error

Bad ammo

MFG defective parts/build

We have established that had I set the headspace incorrectly, the gun wouldnt have fired 56 rounds (thought it was 52 but I recounted the brass from that day-it was 56)

Could it have been the ammo? Perhaps but the again we have established that it appears to have been a headspace issue which lead to an unsupported chamber, allowing the case to detonate.

Could it have been a bad part(s) that lead to this? That is for you to decide as I wont post my thoughts on the open forum, but if you want to ask me, Ill give you some of my thoughts on this.

Am I satisfied with the rebuilding of my gun? Yes

Am I happy with the free can of LC19 M33 ball ammo? Yes it was nice but not expected

Am I happy with nearly 6 weeks and no communication as to the status of my gun? NO....all theyd have had to have done was called or emailed me saying there was a parts screw up and I would have told them no worries just fix it right.

Am I going to buy anything else for OOW again soon or ever again?? That is TBD.

I did assemble the gun after I unboxed it and did a few checks on it. I can tell you that the sound of the barrel lock spring engaging the notches on the barrel sounds completely different than it did the first time. I set the head space, racked it and doubled check the head space. I then put the barrel handle on and tried to rotate the barrel while in battery...the barrel had some wiggle in its notch but never moved from its locked position.

Im in debate about taking it out this weekend and trying it. I know that from now on Ill be shooting it (if I shoot it) with the barrel handle on so I can use it as a quick index to see if anything is moving improperly.

Ill post more on this if or when I shoot it.