most sought after MP40's

I am searching for a nice C&R MP40 for a good customer (I am an SOT). Generally speaking assuming numbers matching and decent remaining original finish which MP 40's would be considered the best investment regarding desirability? Bnz, Haenel, ayf, or Steyr? Great forum and I appreciate any input!

MP40s offered on the open market these days are very rarely in better than excellent condition under all the usual standards applied.. The best ones are in private collections from which they do emerge now and then, but rarely and often go to a friend, or someone who is waiting for it, etc. In my experience from reactivating many MP40s and handling many over the years, the quality of the manufacture of these guns did not suffer much from early to late production as in the case of other types of MGs encountered. The several makers maintained a high degree of quality control over the relatively short production life. There are variations between makers of subcontracted parts, such as color of the Bakelite parts, minor differences in the texture, color and finish of the steel parts, etc. Minor upgrade and labor saving changes occurred in design of some parts from the early production of the MP38 through the production of the MP40. Changes In markings occurred, etc as well. Trying to find a specifically unique combination of these variations and vintages is a labor of love and is really of insufficient value from the collecting point of view. For these small details to matter to a collector, he will be the type looking for every variation in high condition, but the field of such variations and conditions is very small due the small number of examples in the NFRTR. One could do it with Lugers and lots of monly, given the incredible number in existence all over the world, but the laws restricting MG import and possession makes this impossible in the US.

In my opinion, trying to find an example of a specific maker, serial number or date of production and in excellent or better condition will be very difficult. Within the world of the NFRTR, there are comparatively a lot of original MP40s, but it is a limiting factor in the range of variations and conditions that one can choose from. Back in 1970s and later, it was easy to find many very high condition examples of most registered MGs, simply because few collectors and shooters were interested in MGs. Now, one chooses from a far smaller pool of available MGs which generally range in good to very good plus condition. Registered DEWATS continue to surface, many of quite poor condition. Thirty years ago, these poor conditions MGs would have been of quite low value and not of much interest to collectors. Rising MG values raises the value of all MGs so owners of MGs about which they used to be indifferent, now see that they are worth a great deal of money despite condition. Add to that the growing number of collectors who don't care if an example has been fully restored because they want a shiney, new looking MG, the old ugly ducklings have come into their own.

Depending on how long your customer wants to wait, you can hope that a high condition MP40 comes along at auction or on the market, but in my view any vintage of MP40 that is in such condition should be seriously considered or purchased rather than wait for an example that meets standards or requirements that are too stringent for what is available these days. FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII
  • Upvote 1

Maybe a little confusion here. There were three manufacturers of the MP40 during WWII, Steyr (660 & BNZ), Erma (AYF), and Haenel (FXO).

I think that finding a nice MP-40 is mostly a case of timing and luck. It's not like an order for a new one can be placed. I would worry much less about the remaining finish on an MP40 than I would with some other weapons because the original finish was a hot dipped blue that was not durable. If the gun was issued and saw any use at all, the finish is going to be mostly thin or gone. The nicest MP40 that I could find is an all matching BNZ 41 example. It was captured in Normandy, and likely saw service in the east before that. Mechanically, it's excellent, but the finish is just gone at the gripping and wear areas.

IMHO, the earlier the MP-40, the more desirable it is.

Edited by TSMGguy
  • Upvote 1

, but in my view any vintage of MP40 that is in such condition should be seriously considered or purchased rather than wait for an example that meets standards or requirements that are too stringent for what is available these days. FWIW

Truth