• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Taliaferro

Taliaferro

Industry Expert

• Board Donor
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:44 PM

Had these pictures sent to me. Very interesting. What appears to be a L drum pouch that

has been modified for a canteen or shovel cover???

Anyone have info on it?

Attached Files

#2 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4607 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:34 PM

I think your guesses are correct.  I could see it fitting an old Boy Scout canteen, or maybe a regular military canteen.  An entrenching tool is another good guess.  Definitely some kind of field modification, or a later civilian mod.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#3 BillyDixon

BillyDixon

• Regular Group
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:41 PM

i think this comes under the topic of riggers pouchs, many many times the parachute riggers who ha access to sewing machines would modify existing g.i. web gear or fabricate new items ,custom made one of a kind for troops, this stuff useto be common but dont see it anymore, just sayn.

#4 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2352 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 13 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Right, a modified L-drum pouch beyond doubt. The only questions are who modified it and when, and the pouch isn't talking. It is the only modifaction of this kind I've seen, so they're not common. Interesting; thanks for posting. 

#5 Taliaferro

Taliaferro

Industry Expert

• Board Donor
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:03 AM

I don't think this is a field modification or riggers pouch. Notice how the main flaps are formed from a single

piece of web fabric which is also the back of the pouch. The overlapping flaps are too large to have been an original flap that was

split, I think??