Thompson 28 Dewat

Gentlemen, I am in need of some expert advice, and from what I have read in some of the archive responses, I have come to the right place.

I have a registered 1928 Thompson smg, that has been in my possesion since 1973. I purchased it from the late J. Curtis Earl, it has a Tommy Gun stamping on the top of the receiver and is in very good condition. I would now like to go through the process of doing a rewat once the proper authorization is OKd by the BATF. In my state I also have to have a C&R license to legally own a live gun and I will be going through this process also.

My questions are: Who can do the work of rewating? Does it have to be done in my state by a Class III dealer, or can I ship it to someone in another state who holds a class III? Is there anyone out there that does high quality work and is dependable?

As I mentioned earlier, the responses that I have read are very informative and well thought out, and being an educator for 35 years I have come to the conclusion that gun people are the most logical and intelligent people on the planet.

Thanks, Eagle3

Eagle3:

That is a great project to be working on. I have had some fairly extensive experience working with an individual on these boards, PK. Paul is very capable of doing the type of work you would be needing. I could write for some time on the quality of his workmanship, attention to detail and my level of trust is his assessment of work required.

You will be able to locate his information under the "members" tab of this page. I would encourage you to contact him as well in his office @ 970-874-5750

Good luck.

Eagle3: I also had a dewat 1928A1 that traced back to J. Curtis Earl. "Tommy gun" on top and British proof marks on right side of receiver in front of ejection port. S/N 165xxx matched the lower. The barrel had a hardened steel rod welded inside, The chamber of the barrel was welded to the inside of the receiver and the barrel was also welded to the outside of the receiver. The firing pin and hammer were removed and the bolt face ground off. I sent it to Ohio Ordnance Works, who did a fantastic job. (440) 285-3481.

I have to agree with both of those recommendations.I just got back my WH28 from PK..wow... and I have an OO BAR that looks as good as it works,and I have a Savage 28 Dewat that I`m rewatting too...either choice would work,right now I`m kinda partial to PK, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Thanks guys, I appreciate each and every response. It is nice to know that there is such a close knit community where a collector or shooter can retrieve pertinent information. I happened to stumble on this site a week ago, what an eye opening experience. Hawksnest, interesting info on your TOMMY GUN from J. Curtis, close S/N mine is 162xxx.

Thanks again, Eagle3

U.D.,...I`m having a 28 rewatted now, also...it is a no brainer if the 28 is on a form 4,registered to you,look at line 4b and see if `type of firearm` says `submachinegun`,then...contact the C2 that you are going to use for more info... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Ohio Ordnance Works ( www.ohioordnanceworks.com ) did my M1A1 and it came out great, I had this Tommy setting in my basement for 30 years , got a hold of Bob Landies there at Ohio Ordnance in Chardon, Ohio and he made my Tommy work. What a feeling it was ,when Bob handed my Tommy gun to me, to have a working Tommy gun after all these years of it setting in the basement .When I paid 90.00 bucks for it 30 years ago, I never thought I would get to shoot it.

See Ya

Tino