1928 Rear Grip Evolution

I just received a spare 1928 rear grip from Sarco. It's different from the one that came on my gun (a WH 28) and from most of the rear grips I've seen -- which are rounded, with no sharp edges. This new grip, which has the "M" on top, has sharp edges on front. By sharp edges, I mean the contour of the front of the grip toward the bottom is kind of "V-shaped." Don't know if I'm describing this well, but it's kind of a zig-zag controur where your last 2 fingers rest. Does anybody know if this is a late or early variation of the 28 rear grip? Thanks.

Gunner,

I did a post with pictures on the old list showing differences in the reag grip styles. According to American Thunder at least three contractors made the WWII rear grips. Savage, Strombeck-Becker and a company called Dittenborn (sp?). All three grips slightly varied in contour, so the shape of your "M" coded grip (Strombeck-Becker) wouldn't be considered early or late, just whatever contractor's grip happened to be put on the gun at the time of assembly.

I have noticed that some Savage made grips tend to be fatter and the Streombeck-Becker grips have a slightly more pronounced rear area, but are thinner near the top where the web of the thumb and fingers would fit.

Gunner,

The pictures on the old list are not there anymore. I have a new computer and the pictures were on my old one through the AOL website. I believe I deleted them some time ago, sorry.

I can send you photos of different grip styles in the future if you are interested.