Asheville Gunshow

I got to attend the gun show in Asheville, NC this last weekend with the hopes of finding at least one XX mag. No such luck, none to be found there. I did pick up one very nice XXX mag, but I still want one XX mag. Usually, gun shows here have very little in the way of Thompson items. Several of the things I did see, but did not have the money for, was a small possibly a five or ten round magazine, three shot shells made for the Thompson, and a M1/M1A1 receiver. The shot shells were interesting in themselves, but I did not buy. The M1 receiver was a very questionable item. It appeared to have been rusted real bad then sand blasted to clean it up. I could not make out any markings due to the heavy pitting. It had the remnants of an ejector on it, but here is the kicker it had a torch cut about 3/4 of the way back from the front. The cut went up one side and halfway through the top, so the receiver was still in one piece. I know this could be easily repaired by a knowledeable gunsmith. I asked if the receiver was registered in which I got the answer "No, it was demilled with the torch cut." It looked like a big NO NO to me, but I am no expert.

I did see a very 'valuable' XXX magazine. It was reparkerized to a light gray finish and the dealer wanted $50 for it. Audie Murphy most have used that magazine for it to be so expensive http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif .

Scott

I ended up paying about $1 each for a total of 17 of them. The purchase was mixed in with a lot of old brass and loaded stuff I bought also.

I have heard of people wanting $100+ for empty boxes of the shotshells, but I have not confirmed it yet. Too much for me.

I am still lookin for a reasonable price on a shot shell mag though.....

$110 for a NIW XXX Thompson mag? And I'm only asking $15 each for my highly valuable super rare ones. Ohhh, the pain, the pain! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

$110!?! WOW! That dealer must have been really proud of that magazine. Maybe, it was one that Audie Murphy was going to use, but did not get it unwrapped before the war ended. I wonder if he was just as proud of all other items he had for sale.

35divmp, how much are you charging for s/h on the XX rounders?

Scott

QUOTE (M1tommygun @ Mar 29 2006, 04:17 AM)
35divmp, how much are you charging for s/h on the XX rounders?

Scott:

We have 3 or 4 left. Shipping would depend on how many you order. UPS shipping starts around $7 for one and goes up, it's all depends on weight.

Jay

I asked if the receiver was registered in which I got the answer "No, it was demilled with the torch cut." It looked like a big NO NO to me, but I am no expert.

A legal problem just waiting to happen!

Norm