Range Report

Put a few hundred through the Semi Westy with Dave's springs

installed.

Very Nice Indeed! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

It may be just psychosomatic, but it just fires and cycles so much smoother. It actually seems to be a bit quicker...

Now, a lot has to do with getting the PK treatment, but, after a few hundred rounds

before and after, I'd say Dave's spring kit is a must for all semi's!

Used Speer 230gr hardball, man, talk about dirty!

P.S. that's about 450 + rounds with PK's smooth ejector... I'd say it is holding up just fine!

Best, Zamm

Zamm,

Great to hear you had great results as well.

I thought about shooting today but the weather turned, so I just stocked up on more ammo, and went shopping for another gun safe.

Waiting for the new L to arrive to test it.

QUOTE (Zamm @ Jan 3 2005, 08:08 PM)

It actually seems to be a bit quicker...

it WILL be quicker.

the lighter spring tension will "create"/allow more bolt speed. they will also allow the bolt to "smack" the back of the receiver harder as well.

and yes i know the set comes with another buffer too.

i might pick a set up, after more people put more rds through guns so equiped.

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jan 5 2005, 12:41 AM)

Lightening the spring is one of the ways you slow down the rate of full auto fire. If you carry it too far, the rate becomes zero rounds per minute.

yeah, i guess lighter springs would'nt make for faster forward movement http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Hey Guys,

Sorry, been away from the computer for a few days...

I guess I should qualify my statement. It "seemed" faster, but again, it is probably my imagination.

It IS much "smoother".

And, of course, it is a pleasure to rack!

Phil, I know what you mean about lose springs and full auto.

I once tried to speed up the cyclic rate of my .60 caliber Tippman full auto

paintball gun ( a basic blowback/ open bolt system) by snipping off a curl or two on the recoil spring.

Bad idea! As you said, it would not cycle anymore.

Best, Zamm

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS POST AND I HAVE A QUESTION. I HAVE A OLDER AUTO ORDNANCE MFG(PROBABLY WEST HURLEY) MFG. SEMI AUTO. IT IS VERY HARD TO PULL THE ACTUATOR BACK,SOMETIMES REQUIREING TWO HANDS..NOT VERY FUN TO SHOOT..WOULD THIS HELP THAT PROBLEM.

GUNS KILL PEOPLE LIKE PENCILS MISSPELL WORDS....THINK ABOUT IT.

It will hit the buffer harder, and assuming the same coefficient of restitution of the buffer, it will then "bounce" back from the buffer faster as well. Think of the balls on a pool table (don't go there.....).

If I remember right, the buffer was changed to use these springs, and doing that too could alter the rebound speed.

Just think how fast you would have to pull the trigger to to get 600 rpm outta that thing!

PCA16,

Under "members",

look up Dave Janowski and send him an email.

The kit comes with everything you need.

Z

Yea, buffer comes with kit.

I got a kit too but I havn't installed it yet. One question, do you install buffer in front of the metal one or does it replace it? It looks like the buffer fits in front of it, but there are no instructions with the kit. If the new buffer replaces it how do you remove the guide rods? I hate to ask a dumb question but this is an area where I don't want to make a mistake.

The guns will be faster, not due to weaker springs due to less bolt travel.

The buffers take up an additinal .250 of receiver cavity area hence .500 less total travel!

The buffer slides over the rods and the springs sit on top of the buffer, I think ZAMM posted the instalation in old posts, Thanks Craig!

The total spring rate of the two springs combined is the same as one recoil spring in a 1928/M1 thompson add the striker spring and we are stronger than a factory SMG

I have not tested these in Aluminum guns only steel so I would not suggest the kit for any light weight guns or A5 pistols

Glad you all like them

tell your friends

Dave