West Hurley Compensator

I was considering replacing my West Hurley compensator with an original Cutts from a parts kit. There doesn"t appear to be any pin on the West Hurley like there is on the oringal, unless it was ground flush with the compensator before finishing at the factory. Would it be easier to just replace the entire barrel, compensator and sight? If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Railroader

QUOTE (railroader @ Feb 23 2006, 07:11 PM)
I was considering replacing my West Hurley compensator with an original Cutts from a parts kit. There doesn"t appear to be any pin on the West Hurley like there is on the oringal, unless it was ground flush with the compensator before finishing at the factory. Would it be easier to just replace the entire barrel, compensator and sight? If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Railroader

The West Hurley compensators weren't pinned like the originals. They are kept in place with Loctite. Even if you decide to replace the West Hurley barrel with the parts kit barrel and compensator, you will still have to reposition the compensator on the parts kit. Chances are it won't line up correctly. This is best left to a qualified gunsmith. You can't go wrong replacing your West Hurley parts with WWII genuine Thompson parts.

I replaced my comp,on my Westy,without any trouble at all.It had loctite on it and no pins. So all I did was put some heat on it and twisted it off.I also cut the barrel down on it,to an overall 16 inch length with a new Doug Richardson Early Comp and then silver solder. Not hard thing to do just a little time consuming.

Elbow

Thanks for the response's. I think for now, I'll just replace the West Hurley Comp with and original. Drilling and pinning shouldn't be too much of a problem. The West Hurley barrel is still pretty new, so I might as well shoot it out first.