What Is This Thompson M1 Worth ?

Hi everyone,

I am looking at a Thompson M1, said to be WWII vintage, described as C&R, Auto Ordnance Bridgeport Conn, serial # 310XXX, looks to be in good shape by pics, to be looked at in person in next 24 hrs.

Asking price is 17k. What do you guys think ?

Thanks in advance, and looking to join the "club" in the near future, but I want the right gun !

What else comes with it? Any Drums, etc?

Actually, I have been reading that 17K is about the "normal" now, sans extras. I will say the number was between 12-14K last January....

Anyone else bought anything recently?

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Jan 11 2005, 11:25 AM)
Not to be obtuse but why would a WWII vintage M1 come with a drum?

And I bought a WWII M1A1 last month for 14K...

It wouldn't come with a drum....but I don't know how many stick mags come with it or whether it has a case....we'll see.

Hawkeye, does this serial number make sense ?

QUOTE (Lotusnut @ Jan 11 2005, 11:05 AM)
....does this serial number correspond to the time period of WWII ?

Yes it does. If the gun is marked Auto-Ordnance, Bridgeport, CT - it had to be made during WWII. The M1 series guns were only made between 1942 and 1944. Anything Thompson with the Bridgeport, CT address is WWII vintage.

Here's a good buy....

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/upload/nfafirearms.5478.1.jpg

Ad Number: 5478

Date Posted: 01/09/2005

Price: $14,900

Text of Ad

Auto Ordnance Thompson M1 on Form 4 in PA - $14,900 including a complete parts kit, new stock set and ten 30 round magazines.

This is an early M1 with “L” sight, separate firing pin, pin style selectors and WWII era gray/green parkerized finish. It has GEG and FJA proof marks and the stock is stamped MR on the left side (indicating a Mount Rainier Armory rebuild). The serial numbers do NOT match. The upper receiver serial number is 58,XXX.

I would assess the overall condition as very good. There are two small nicks in the receiver and a few other superficial scratches. Other than that, it is very clean. The original wood is well worn with a number of nicks, chips and dents and the butt plate is slightly pitted. It is mechanically sound.

E-mail me with questions or for pictures at dkot6@comcast.net. Terms are full payment up front (bank/cashiers check or wire transfer). Buyer is responsible for shipping and insurance. If two transfers are required, I will pay for one

David Kot

QUOTE (Lotusnut @ Jan 11 2005, 12:41 PM)

Are matching serial numbers worth a premium over that ?

In my opinion, not $2,000.00 worth. Most M1 and M1A1 guns were rebuilt and it is common for the numbers not to match. If the matching numbers are important to you, then you have to decide if you want to spend $2,00.00 more for them.

I would say no...but I'm not a "rabid" collector either, I have no $4,000.00 empty tin boxes... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif . Mine has matching numbers and I got it for 14K. This one has an extra parts kit and 10 mags. Most were sent in for rebuilds and no care was taken to match the tops and bottoms. I don't think at any rate that it is worth nearly 3 K more .. at least not to me.

I don't own a full-auto Thompson, but I have built a couple of rifles from parts. At first I was a little put off that the parts did'nt match, but once you get to the range and start pulling the trigger all those thoughts of matching numbers go right out of your mind. You can't see the numbers while you are shooting it, so why worry about it. If worse comes to worse you can always "restore" the mismatched parts. G57

I was snoozing!

Since that is a M1, not a 28, of course it has no slot.

My prices were for 28s, not a M1. Sorry! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

well, I went to look at the gun today. Owner was very good about showing me the gun and explaining its somewhat patchy history (meaning there were gaps in ownership and no info on possible rebuilds etc) I guess this can be expected on a 60 year old gun.

The gun itself was in ok condition. The stock and grip were well pitted and the grip was slightly more prominently chipped in a spot (looked like a well used gun)

The finish had been re-parkerized and in the process some of the finer initial stamps from the various ordnance chiefs was not clearly visible. It was a matching serial number gun.

It came with one 30 round mag only. The gun had the A1 portion of M1A1 stamped over (owner unsure of when) and came with an M1A1 bolt installed and an M1 bolt spare. Wasn't sure of the original configuration of the gun.

I thought the price at around 17k was a premium and the owner didn't feel the need to move at all (perfectly his right). I decided to pass on this one and look at a few more before pulling the trigger. I may end up paying more, or less, but I wan't to be happy with the gun.

So, the search for an M1 Tommy continues ! thanks for your advice, and if anyone knows of something becoming available, I'd appreciate it.

It wasn't on hold when I posted it..(as you can see) I wonder if someone in here jumped on it. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Come on.. where's my commission??.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

don't you just love it one mag.and maybe i will sell it to you for $17,000.00 and let you touch it for $17,000.00

as far as i'm concerned half maybe more of these so called thompson seller's know squat...the history bah!! all they know is $$$$

go on to something else........it will turn up for you.it sometimes always does'

don't buy the pig thats been poked...look around take time..take ,ron

thanks Ron, I'll get my Tommy eventually, and enjoy years of admiring it !

The thing is, this seller stressed integrity blah blah blah, and then changed the price 3 hrs later, and then takes his email contact down....

slim shady stuff if you ask me.

I think it has prompted me to go with a higher volume dealer to be honest...at least then, a reputation is on the line.