Breech Oiler

Newbie question: Which way does the breech oiler go in the upper reciever? Long arms of the oiler up against the top of the reciever or down? Second, where can I find a adjustable for windage Lyman rear sight for my W.H. ? Third- any tricks on how to keep the Cutts comp from unscrewing on my W.H. other than have it pinned? Thanks. By the way it shoots great-30 rds sticks, 50 rd drum and a 100 rd W.H. drum that Merle "fixed" for me. Just got the transfer yesterday and didn't sleep much last night-stayed up looking her over. Michael

Long arms up (the hole for the pilot is off center and it will only fit the “right” way).

IMA had GI Lymans, should still have some.

Degrease the barrel and comp threads well, use Loctite (#290 is good)

Congratulations on your new Tommy.

Going back to the oiler, if the felt pads need replacement, what would you do? Is the proper felt available?

I never thought about replacing the felt and wonder if a specific type needs to be used as I am sure most would deteriorate under the high temps.

When replacing the breech oiler, the longer arms are at the top.

Loctite is very good for both the compensator as well as the barrel threads.

My oiler looks like its been in there a long time. Does anyone know if it is standard procedure to replace this, when you first get your gun? In other words, does this part usually go bad or is it something that you don't worry about?

FWIW

A member sent me several felt-less oiler frames. I just got the felt today and am slowly working on tools & procedures to re-pad these frames, as time permits.

I’ll keep you posted as the project progresses.

The breech oiler is an important part of the lubrication scheme of the 21/28 models and should not be taken for grated, IMO

"The breech oiler is an important part of the lubrication scheme of the 21/28 models and should not be taken for granted, IMO" per PK.

I recently observed a NIB (i.e., unfired) West Hurley '28 of 1984 vintage without the breech oiler. Looked like it had everything else.

Did the breech oiler get cost-reduced out of the WH production models or was this just another example of WH "quality"?

“Did the breech oiler get cost-reduced out of the WH production models …? Yes, that is exactly right. Some guns had them but when NAC’s supply of oilers ran out, they just stopped including them.

Standard breech oilers will fit right into a WH gun and should be used.

It is true that it is a simple part, but the tooling to stamp and form it would cost $20k- you wouldn’t get that back for a long time selling obsolete parts for a limited supply of guns, if ever.

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Apr 29 2004, 02:57 PM)
So my WH 28 will probably not have a breech oiler system in it when it arrives.. ?? I should go shopping for one? I have an extra bolt and have picked up a nice non crossbolt stock for it already ..

Your WH should come with the oiler.

Unless someone took it out.

But spare parts are getting harder to find at a reasonable price.

Any spares are a good thing.

I think Numrich has breech oilers for about $25 + HIS.

I think the original oiler felts are so durable because they are made from long hair virgin wool (i.e., wool from very ugly sheep) from Ireland where the cool damp climate causes the sheep to produce a fibre that is particularly suitable for the application. One of the heretofor undocumented reasons for the popularity of the Thompson gun with the Irish Republican Army was the use of the Irish wool.

Very ugly sheep...??? You really need to get out more... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif Edited by LSU Tiger

LMAO Philohio!!!! Don't forget Chuck Heston standing over John "pass the ketchup" Kerry as he cuts the new oiler felt to size! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif Edited by LSU Tiger