Magazine Feed Lip Repair Tool Production to Resume

Well, fellow Thompson enthusiasts I have received about 13 PM's from fellow board members to make another run of repair tools. I placed the order for materials today. I am listing the board names of those on the order list below. If you name is not on the list and you want a repair tool please PM me so I can get you on the list. I will contact everyone thru the board with a PM as the tools are finished and ready to go. This may take a while since prior to the Covid 19 B.S. I was retired and had more time to devote to the project. Now that I have been called out of retirement to help with the unemployment situation, time is a bit tight ( I feel as if I have been drafted again ) anyway here is the list so far.

MG08

TD

1GEWEHR

Frank Ianamico

AZBOATER

SHOOTER333

THRITYROUNDER

MIKE IN PA

INTERVENTION

MRKTBEAT

IMAGEAUDIO

HEAVEY ARTILLERY

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Received my repair tool last week. It is very robust and well constructed. I especially liked the bolt which allows for critical and precise placement of the tool within the tube. Came with a clearly communicated instruction sheet for members like me who do not have years of experience with the Thompson.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to construct these tools Carl. Well worth every penny.

Please put me on the list.

You are now on the list my friend. Please watch your PM for when I have one ready for you.

Thanks

carl

Tiz,

I received my magazine tool. Great service and packing. Thank you.

It is a very sturdy tool that should last for several lifetimes! Excellent value!

I have an observation that I want to make and obtain feedback from other members who have purchased and used your tool. I don't think it is absolutely necessary to de-flash the magazine catch hole and screw in the provided bolt. It appears to me if the tool is mounted in a vise and a magazine is held down tightly on the tool by hand allowing a view into the magazine catch hole that shows alignment with the hole in the tool, a user can then straighten the magazine feed lips with their preferred tool (plastic hammer for me) without all that de-flashing.

I performed the de-flashing on one of my magazines and agree it is not hard to do. But I am not sure it is necessary all the time.

Comments?

If that method works for you, great. The only reason for the bolt is to facilitate the proper height and alignment of the tool without placing any bearing on the mag catch hole which might deform, enlarge or elongate the mag catch hole. If you can gain the proper alignment using the method you describe I see nothing wrong with that. Thanks for passing that along for the good of all who have purchased one of my tools. The instructions I provide are not rules just provided for guidance.

All the best

Tiz

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to use the tool this past weekend. I had some really awful 30rd Thompson mags I acquired many years ago that had dents and bent lips. The tool and a brass hammer took care of them all! Some sand-blasting and reblueing remains to be done to have really nice useful mags!

Now, I still need to get a Thompson!

As a bonus, I was able to use it to remove some dents from a couple of Reising 20rd mags. Careful positioning and use of the hammer turned them from display-only use to range-capable mags! With the price of Reising mags these days, the tool has easily paid for itself!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone!

My first post. I just recently could afford to get into the NFA world. My first purchase was a Colt Thompson 1921 and my 3rd purchase was a Colt Thompson Navy overstamp. I've acquired many magazines from gun shows and now realize why they were selling them!

Tiz,

Sign me up for the next run, or let me know if you have another tool laying around. I'd rather repair mags than continue to play the guessing game if they will feed properly in my TSMG.

If anyone would like to part with their mag tool, let me know. I'm willing to pay top dollar!

Regards,

Clay

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tiz.....Please add me to the list. I would be interested in purchasing a tool. Thank you!

Hello Tiz.....Please add me to the list. I would be interested in purchasing a tool. Thank you!

>>

I have been off the board for a while and catching up on interesting posts.

I don't have any on hand just now but I believe I have enough material left from my last run of mag repair tools to fabricate a few more. I will have to get into the shop and get some done.

I will put you on the list and send a PM when they are ready. Give me a couple of weeks as I have some other things that need done before the snow flies, which by the feel of it, isn't far off.

Best

Tiz

Edited by Tiz

Please add me to the list as well, should any additional tools become available. Thank You.

I may have one available. One person who initially wanted one is no longer interested, said he didn't have cash to spare, whatever!

I will let you know if I have one extra.

Thanks for your interest.