Thompson Stick Mag Repair

I have a boat load of 20 and 30 round stick mags for my Thompson. Problem is some do not feed properly due to the feed lips being bent, most likely due to being dropped or otherwise mishandled, which causes jams and failures to feed. Does anyone know if there exists a fixture available to use to get the feed lips back in specs?

There were several discussion threads in 2004. I'd post them, but not sure really how. Go to the upper right hand corner to the search and type magazine anvil. The last thread PK states the radius of the feed lips and some other pertinent dimensional data.

There is a tool and I just happened to see one for sale at the All Thompson Show & Shoot.

Ask board member PHIL ASKEW on a PM here on the board PM system if the one he had at the show is still available.

Got an answer fron Phil, he sold it at the Show & shoot. Any one else know where one is available. If I can aquire one I would be happy to lend it to any board member who might need it.

There were several discussion threads in 2004. I'd post them, but not sure really how. Go to the upper right hand corner to the search and type magazine anvil. The last thread PK states the radius of the feed lips and some other pertinent dimensional data.

Could not locate the thread. since it was 15 years ago it may no longer be available.

I also made a pliers with concave and convex jaws to squeeze and reshape feed lips. Made jaw attachments then welded them onto a large vice grip pliers.

Could you supply some detail and maybe a picture or two in the event I cannot locate a repair tool I may attempt to fabricate one.

Could not locate the thread. since it was 15 years ago it may no longer be available.

These are some of the pertinent threads found when searching "magazine anvil". The last or bottom one has some specs that PK provides.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3667&hl=%2Bmagazine+%2Banvil

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2713&hl=%2Bmagazine+%2Banvil

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2166&hl=%2Bmagazine+%2Banvil

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=530&hl=%2Bmagazine+%2Banvil&do=findComment&comment=3686

One thought would be for a group of us to chip in and have a machine shop make one, then pass it among the group as needed.

There is a tool and I just happened to see one for sale at the All Thompson Show & Shoot.

Ask board member PHIL ASKEW on a PM here on the board PM system if the one he had at the show is still available.

Follow Sigs advise, no need to make one as one already exists.

edit: missed the post that Phil had sold the Glen W. anvil tool at TATA.

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

Been thinking about this for years.....too bad nobody at one of the mag contractors ever ratholed away a set of dies that were used to form magazines. Anyone know of a set of design prints that were standardized by Auto-Ordnance to distribute to contractors?

They surely didn't design their own.

Sounds like maybe what's needed is a tool and diemaker to look at all known specs, new mags that feed great in several guns, specs as listed in some of these past strings, current tools and anything else that can be added to the pot and come up with a set of dies wherein a mag can be loaded and a forming die slid over that and pounded/pressed down to reform the mag.

Lots of work and probably why re-pop drums are made but not re-pop stick mags. Does Kahr make new mags (that actually work)?

Still, there are talented diemakers out there who would be up to it given all pertinent specs.

Anyone up to compiling all these specs so that those of us who know a great machinist might be able to attempt something like this?

Kahr does make both 20 and 30 round mags. First, they're listed at $70, regardless of capacity. :huh: Second, their site says that they will not fit any Thompson made before 1990. I've no idea if they work, or not.

Edited by LSU Tiger

Glen unfortunately passed away.

Sorry. I was not aware of Glens passing. Did anyone have the foresight to carry on with his mag anvil?

Another possibility might be for the person who purchased the mag anvil from Phil or someone who owns one of Glens mag anvils to provide a mag repair service to board members for a small fee.

My TSMG left for PK today. He said to include as many mags as I wished and he would gauge and adjust them as needed. Thanks PK.

Here is the mag pliersi make. Squeeze really hard to shape the lips back to correct radius shape. Then bend in or out to get correct height/spacing...

Here's what I'm thinking.. I'd send this around if members want to make a donation to the Thompson board for it's use. (Like I did with the drum greaser).

20190813_205035.jpg

20190813_205013.jpg

This is the one I have still trying to figure out the correct way to operate it. Anyone know the proper procedure?

I would imagine you slide it up inside a mag and tap the feed lips over the round bars to reform the lips.