The "saving Private Ryan" Pouch

anybody know of any repo's of this(i doubt i would want to pay for an org'nl) pouch, or maybe someplace that might have orginals(for a price check anyway)??

i'll admit it, i've been watching movies this weekend(SPR and B of B ) and having seen this pouch in both movies, and now feel the need for one(or two??).

Edited by brian

just an aside, these general purpose pouches are not covered in American Thunder, but touched upon briefly in a recent Shotgun News article. anyone know where I can find out more about them

Thanks,

BB

Folks, You're in luck! I acquired a sizeable stash of these, originals, years back.

I have EVERY type made, WW II in both early khaki and late OD canvas, Korean War era in OD canvas, and Viet Nam era in OD canvas and OD nylon, and even some late 80's dated OD nylon. Also have extra matching GP straps in either canvas or nylon, as appropriate. I have BOTH the "12 mag" and "6 mag" type (NOTE: the MAJORITY of these bags were intended for carrying bulk ammo in either loaded mags or boxes, they WERE NOT made specifically for any one type of mag!! They hold perfectly though, 12/6 M3 Grease Gun mags, TSMG 30rd mags, 8/BAR mags, 1/200rd belt of BMG ammo, etc.) All bags propeprly mfg'r marked/date coded.

Please email me directly and I will dig out and sort by Date/era/Mfg'r/cloth type/color, etc, for you. I have other USGI mag pouches, canvavs items too, please inquire (mostly MG type canvas accessories, but some others). These bags I get $25-50.00 depending on era/tye. Not too manyof hte WW II early kahki left, maybe 3-4, that's all. (Will trade any/all for M1A1 TSMG mags, parts)

NOTE: I AM GONE TO LAS VEGAS FOR THE SHOT SHOW FROM TODAY (2/8) thru SUNDAY 2/14!!!! NO EMAIL REPLIES TILL AFTER 2/14!!! Thanks!!

-Tom H/Tactical Advantage C2 Mfgr

By far, the best repro I have ever seen made, which I own as well, is the Thompson bag made by American Patrol Gear or APG. They usually only deal wholesale with their retailers like WWII Impressions (yes they are the guys *APG* who makes the best repro web gear on the market), but if you call them they can provide you a price list and you can get the same item from them for $45 that would cost you $80 at WWII Impressions. My father has been using their gear for the last couple years and these are good dependable reproductions. I believe it is a husband-wife company but their number is 801 568-9189 and e-mail is APCOGEAR@MSN.COM.

I ordered a thompson bag from What Price Glory first and was sorely disappointed at the flimsy quality which I believe is the same kind that Bayonet Inc sells. Then after sending that back I got some info about these guys and saw my father's and I am very pleased with it. And their service is great! This might sound like an advertisement, but I am really just a very happy customer wanting to share the knowledge and help out some good people. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

http://www.jeepownersclub.co.nz/reenact%20supply.htm

QUOTE (Fencer @ Feb 11 2004, 07:00 AM)
I have really pleased with Bayonet Inc.'s pouch. I am going to get their 20rd and 30rd mag pouches as well soon.

do have any original pouchs?

that you might be able to compare their quality to a USGI pouch?

i ordered a general purpose pouch from bayonet, shortly after you first post in this thread, now i'm nervous about what kind of quality i might get. as it will be side by side with some other pouchs that are USGI.

I do not have any Thompson Items other than the SPR repo pouch.

However, I have several original M1 carbine magazine/stock pouches and

several WWII 1911A1 mag pouches.

The only thing that lost it's snap the first time I used it was one of the

M1 Carbine mag pouches.

Different luck for different people.

You want the original thing? Pay $85 and uh whoops, just checked

and Stan Wolcott is evidently out of them. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

You can try Ebay. Pay $$ and not have the opportunity to return it.

Evidently TactAdv has some, you can try his.

Be calm, no-one has specifically said bad things about Bayonet ... yet.

The gentleman above just said he believes that they are the same.

I mean really, you should hear how some people talk about Kahr/Auto-Ordnance

around here.

Ok, so maybe that's not a good comparison. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

i just received(by US mail not ups) the gerenal purpose ammo pouch i orded from bayonet.

it does'nt look too bad. the stitching looks alittle on the "weak" side, but it is a repro after all.

i have some other orignal web gear and it seems the spr bag is made with a slightly tighter weave then the rest of my canvas, but between the thompson and the browning i'll need a way of carrying LOTS of rds.

so i'll more than likly be ordering some more stuff from bayonet.

I was reading this post and am a little confused on what is called the General Purpose Bag. The general purpose bag, that has the hooks or loops on either side to accept a sling, is listed in the Quarter Master Supply Catalog QM 3-4 and the official name is Bag, Carring, Ammunition, Stock No. 74-B-54=30. Yes, this bag is versatile and will carry most any type of magazine, grenades, belted ammo, etc.

The bag carried by the captain in SPR and seen a few times in BOB is not the same bag. The official name is Case, Magazine, 30 Round, with Shoulder Strap. It is somewhat smaller than the above described bag. The shoulder strap is permanently attached to the bag and it will accomodate 8 Thompson 30 round magazines perfectly. The flap will not close on a M3 grease gun magazine. The latest date that I have ever seen on an original one is 1943. The one in my collection is marked Het. Co. 42 on the back and JQMD 1942 under the top flap. There is no question in my mind but that this pouch was made specifically for eight-Thompson 30 round magazines. Nothing else will fit in the bag properly. These bags and the 20 round, five pocket pouches were used in the European Theater to carry Thompson 30 round mags. (The flaps on the 20 round pouch were left open or the flaps were slid around the side of the 30 round mags and snapped in front.)

There was a latter version of this bag made on up through the 50s or 60s (that was normally treated with MRT) but it is not the same bag.

Although the original "general purpose bags" and general purpose carrying straps in khaki shades are rare (the OD green ones are fairly common), the original Case, Magazine, 30 Round, with Carrying Strap (all original ones that I have seen were khaki or light pea green in color) are a very desirable and appropriate military Thompson accessory.