Thompsons on Rat Patrol

Doesn't look like until Episode #18, they finally give up their "who knows what" SMG's for 1928 Thompsons. I must have missed a few episodes in reruns and when I first bought my DVD set. There are two episodes from a three part series where a fat Jack Russell is sitting on a chair smoking a pipe. It is hilarious. You can tell Troy and Moffit were amused by it if you freeze frame it. A fat Jack Russell terrier. Fatter than the one the Reubenesque nekid Cuban girl and I woke up next to on the floor of her friend's bedroom floor that one time, but that's another story for another time. Noticing MP40's for the first time as well.

20220808_185549.jpg

Screenshot_20220808-204152_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

WUB, You can watch virtually all these Rat Patrol episodes now on you tube . Thompsons are in bunch of episodes pounding away into the enemy. When I was a kid, my cousins and I were glued to this stuff. Even then, we noticed no one in the Rat Patrol carries extra mags .... other than the Germans.

Noticed the lack of spare mags, but they seem to have a bottomless one in the gun. The Germans with the MP40's still have 98 pouches. Also odd for Long Range Desert Patrol (Troy's words) is they only carry three five gallon gas/water cans in each jeep. Horribly written, scripted, directed, edited, special effected, and acted, it was a childhood favorite and I still enjoy watching my DVD set. The dog smoking the pipe in the chair made my day.

Sorry, didn't think to look for previous posts. I can forgive American halfback and postwar tanks, but have to draw the line at USMC marked gas cans in German use.

20220816_163331.jpg

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

As a kid I watched the show and greatly enjoyed it. I now have all the discs of the entire run and yes now that I'm older I can spot all the errors that show up. And didn't it always seem like they repeated the same scenario over and over in nearly every episode. They have the "raid", and then the always successful "getaway". I always felt sorry for the hapless German captain "Hans Dietrich" as played by Hans Gudegast who you now know as Eric Braeden. In real life if that captain had that many failures in battle, he would have been shot or at least sent to the Russian front.

Here are two lead combatants, Christopher George and Eric. Mr. Braden kindly signed my photo in both his monikers as he was still known as Hans back then. Great stuff, grab the popcorn, dim the lights, relax and watch. But above all, don't take it too seriously.

Eric Braeden.jpg

Christopher_George_The_Rat_Patrol.jpg

Way cool, Mike! I can't take the show seriously. Loved it as a kid. I like Captain Deitrich's sense of decency, humanity and his contempt of his higher ups. Edited by Waffen Und Bier

Dietrich was my favorite character in the show. He wasn’t portrayed as a snarling evil monster like a Reinhard Heinrich but rather a man who respected the people that he was forced to fight and you the viewer felt that he wished that he didn’t have to, so yes he came off as a very sympathetic character.

This series helped Gudegast get more noticeable roles and landed him as the lead in a science fiction called “Colossus, the Forbin Project” where he first used his new Americanized name Braeden. A good film which portrayed the notion of a computer system taking over the whole world. I think Robert Ludlum had something to do with the story, but it was a story that predicted the power of mans own invention and how it could come back to haunt him.

Dietrich was my favorite character in the show.

Hans/Eric was featured in a Hawaii Five-0 episode "The Second Shot" as a "journalist" who is part of a plot to be a deliberate target of an assassin in order to get the sympathy of the Greek diplomat who would then trust him enough to allow Eric to be alone with him and then assassinate him. He gets off the plane at Honolulu airport knowing his life is dependent on the skill of the sniper, whose scope has a filter that picks up the black dot on the suit jacket, to just miss his heart which would convince Steve McGarrett it was a legit attempt on his life.

post-110-0-99500700-1661369650_thumb.jpg post-110-0-89784700-1661369700_thumb.jpg

post-110-0-98775500-1661369722_thumb.jpg post-110-0-19853500-1661369746_thumb.jpg

I remember one episode where they took the M2 off the jeep, positioned it on top of a rock, and fired away. No tripod.

Not much recoil with blanks.

Hans/Eric had several roles in "Combat". Unlike many of the "Krauts", his German didn't have an English accent.

Edited by mnshooter

I remember “Colossus, the Forbin Project”, it was excellent. Colossus, like "Soylent Green", is feeling more like reality instead of science fiction nowadays. Good stories are universal, and stand the test of time.

Hawaii Five O's 1972 "While You're at It, Bring in the Moon" had a storyline about how a Government 1911 .45 ( with an effective range of "50 yards") could have been used to kill a businessman from 200 yards. The answer: Ed Flanders paid $200,000 to a West German firearm designer to make a remote controlled silenced rifle in .45 caliber. The mysterious weapon is revealed in the final moments of the episode.

post-110-0-95022900-1661451250_thumb.jpg

I remember one episode where they took the M2 off the jeep, positioned it on top of a rock, and fired away. No tripod.

Hans/Eric had several roles in "Combat". Unlike many of the "Krauts", his German didn't have an English accent.

The director tried to conceal the M2 mount, but not successfully.

post-110-0-45736200-1661535110_thumb.jpgpost-110-0-64332100-1661535131_thumb.jpg

The director tried to conceal the M2 mount, but not successfully.

attachicon.gif IMG_6206.JPGattachicon.gif IMG_6210.JPG

Much better images. Thanks

Never noticed the tripod in the original broadcast.

The small black and white TV's of the 60's did a good job of hiding many details.

Mary Ann still looked fine in B&W.