Bad Gun or Bad Market - '28 Navy Unsold at $31k

In an effort to continue learning all things Thompson, does anyone have an idea why this gun has not sold?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847142487

Sure the overall condition could be better, and there are no pics of the internals, but dang - an early Colt with the square actuator slot, early semi and safe/fire markings, and a period drum which should be worth around $2k, and no buyers?

I must be missing something major, but I'm not seeing it. Can someone help me?

Is the market really this depressed or is condition everything with Colt's?

TIA

Have you read this? http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23285

Can you tell if the barrel has been replaced, if it has original finish or if the furniture is original? Go ahead and ask. The pics are not useful.

It could be a good deal... and the market is weak currently.

Also, Im leery of painted engraving.

Edited by GaryKeim

I really like that book! Highly Recommended :)

Why hasn't NO 2417 sold. Actually, it has sold in the recent past. Perhaps to a Board member. The Thompson Forum is a great source of information on all Thompson guns. If your thinking about purchasing NO 2417 and you did not know about the below information, send David a small contribution right now for keeping this historical information readily available.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20590&hl=2417

When trying to sell a product you value over 30K, it would be wise to include some high resolution pictures (in focus). There are a lot of unknowns on NO 2417 that a knowledgeable buyer would want to investigate prior to purchase. The butt stock might as well be painted red; same with the missing compensator pin. But note how the current seller does not show an angle of the compensator so a potential buyer can tell the pin is missing. Buttstock and potential barrel problems (even Ruben's pictures do not show the index line) equals big deductions. The actuator appears to be a Type 2 but I would want to absolutely verify this before purchase.

One other point. The seller appears to be an individual and I assume is unknown to members of this Forum. He could do a lot better job in the description telling about NO 2417 - and himself. You can sleep well sending Ruben a check. Making an expensive deal with an out of state buyer involves a lot of trust, something not exhibited in this advertisement.

Bad pictures. Bad time of year.

Can't even tell if the drum is period correct. If the drum is correct, then we have a Colt gun for less then 30 K.

If someone is looking for a Colt , this gun should be investigated further.

Jim C

JimC, curious what time of year you think is the best time to sell? I have always had the best luck just prior to a Presidential election, but waiting four years between them isnt always practical. Edited by Bridgeport28A1

My experience selling a much nicer Colt navy was a little similar. I consigned to big Pennsylvania Auction house with a 25k minimum bid (the minimum bid@ 25K would guarantee my fee at 1%) Sure enough they could not get 25K!!!. Instead of relisting for the spring sale I had them send it on a form 3 to a friend of mine in Phoenix (sot) who sold the gun in less than a month and my check was 37K .The gun sold in February.