Looking For Advice

My experience - (quote from my post in another thread) -

I recently bought a new Kahr 27A-1 deluxe w/drum. The rails on the drum would not allow the drum to lock onto the carbine. I sent the drum back to the dealer who returned it to Kahr for replacement. The new drum locked onto the carbine O.K. but I had many feed failures. Also the rear sight wouldn't stay on the gun, even with loc-tite. Also began to get some jamming even with the stick mags.

Kahr said to send it all back and they would replace it with new carbine and drum, tested to work.

(end quote)

Based on my limited experiene and reading on this forum, I would completely avoid Kahr drums. I would also be hesitant to get another Kahr / Auto Ordnance Thompson. (I plan to sell the replacement as soon as it arrives at my dealer's.)

QUOTE (coloradocreature @ Feb 7 2006, 06:47 PM)

I'm new here, and planning to purchase a new Thompson from Auto Ordnance. What are the feelings out there about steel vs aluminum recievers ? Any advantage or disadvantage to either one ? How is reliability on the new Auto Ordnance guns ?

Auto Ordnance doesn't make Thompsons any more. Some company named Kahr arms makes these semi-auto replicas that seldom work, however... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Personally I would only purchase the steel version.

Even though metallurgy has made some promising advances, I still hold comfort in the steel version.

Your choice might also be determined by how much you intend to shoot the gun. If you plan on running only small amounts of ammo then the aluminum might hold up well for you. Then there is the question of how good is the appearance is between the two metals.

As to reliability I haven't herd of many that ran right out of the box without a little tweaking.

All of the 27A1 models seem to have their little problems, no matter if you find an early model or a Kahr manufactured carbine.

I would buy another Kahr though!

Better yet save for a Colt 27...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

well its been a while since i posted, it took a lil while but my '27 is running great, needed alot of tweaking and a new extractor. i learned the hard way that they dont like wolf ammo much. the drum was easy to fix up nice all i did was use a empty 45-70gov shell and ran the tip arnound in the tracks till i didnt feel and spots where it got sticky. it seems that the 27 has a break in period after about my 1st 1000 rounds its been running smooth as silk. just remember to keep it clean and get some wieghts and work out, after holding it up shooting all day that bolt can feel like your pulling a truck back.