Broken Kahr Firing Pin

I have a Kahr TM1 that has broken it's second firing pin.

I'll call them for a replacement but figure they'll send me another pot metal part. Was wondering if a GI firing pin would fit the piece. At least it would be honest steel and might last for a while. I only have about 2500 rnds thru the gun and have broken two firing pins and PK had to replace two other parts when he was working on it.

Any ideas on this as a proper fix?

Got the firing pin.

Only have to drift out one pin to install it.

Now the problems start. When I get the frame back on the receiver the bolt will only go about half way back and when I disassemble it again something seems to catch on the firing pin, pulling it to the rear and then letting it snap forward.

I plan on putting the broken pin back in, put it all back together and see if it goes back the right way. Cleaned it las weekend, before I discovered the broken firing pin and it went back together just like it's supposed to.

Any ideas or are Thompsons, FA/SA just not for me?

Jebt

Yeah, you got to take from orignal firing pin and lay it over the new one. You'll notice on the bottom of the new pin that engages the sear that its got more metal. Grind to fit and than polish the bottom of new pin. I left a little extra metal- enuff to clear the sear when it releases it. But really polished it. (dremal tool.)-adlake

Tried it both ways.

Put the broken firing pin back in and it went together just like it was supposed to.

Checked the old pin against the new one and there is a difference on the lower angled part. Evidently Kahr has't heard about Eli Whitney and interchangeability of parts. It's gunsmith time.

adlake, missed your post before I added the above. Sounds like you have done this before.

Thanks, but can't these people(KAHR) get it right the first time. I paid c.$800 for the gun and c.$600 for PK to get it working right. At this rate I'll be up to the cost of a FA before it works like it should out of the box.

jebt

Oh yeah been there before. Up Kahr creek with out a paddle. and seen it again and again-adlake

Adlake is correct. I had to fit my firing pin in the manner described. Be careful to match the old pin as close as possible and not take off too much. Maybe Kahr knew their tolerances would vary for each gun, so they decided to custom fit some of the parts.

What amazes me about all of this is that if they knew the tolerances would be diffrent why don't they make them to the same specs. WWII had hand machines and the machine gun parts and materials are tight, bulletproof! and it todays standards are you can get unbeliveable tolerances, but were lacking on uniformity and substandard material. amazing!! Hats off to the greatest generation! To pass the endevors they did was amazing. Leaving this generation to figure out what they did. anyways random Kahr quality ramblings http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif -adlake

my guess is that whoever they sub-ed the pins out to messsed something up(it's a sheared part). knowing kahr's track record they probably just let it slide.

i've broken a few FP's. i only need to take a few thousands off mine to fit. i can't see anybody having to take more than that off.

easy work with just a file, even easier with a dremel and a dial caliper.