Sten Identification

Greetings. I'm new here and I have some doubts about a Sten I own for some time. She has the name and the serial number placed in the magazine wall, but in a way different from all I've seen so far.

The model is marked "STEN MK 2" instead "STEN MK II" and the serial number is C.B.16X.

I've never seen one that wasn't marked with Roman numbers

She has a proof mark on the bolt that seems to be Belgian, as well as some scattered marks in other places that seem to be Belgians also.

If anyone can help me identify it, it will be much appreciated

I have attached some pictures for easy identification

Thanks

post-258518-0-77222100-1357169229_thumb.jpg

post-258518-0-55724300-1357169280_thumb.jpg

post-258518-0-79851400-1357169387_thumb.jpg

post-258518-0-42569900-1357169428_thumb.jpg

post-258518-0-05935700-1357169480_thumb.jpg

post-258518-0-72197500-1357169606_thumb.jpg

post-258518-0-31106000-1357169887_thumb.jpg

post-258518-0-32506500-1357169937_thumb.jpg

post-258518-0-63737500-1357170002_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Gunner1,

Welcome to the board, and great first post! I'm not an expert on Belgian proof marks, but I did take a look at a book I have that covers some of them. While I didn't see these mark exactly, I can't rule out that they are not Belgian. The placement o the "L" on one of the marks is consistent with some that I observed in the book, while not exact. Perhaps our member "Balder" can provide some insight. He is one of our members from Belgium who watches this board. If you look at the pinned reference post at the top of the Sten board, you will see a couple of examples of Belgian Sten manuals, so yours could very well be a Belgian Sten.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 3 weeks later...

........ Perhaps our member "Balder" can provide some insight. He is one of our members from Belgium who watches this board......

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David et al,

Sorry, can't help you there - I'm Norwegian, not Belgian. But if I were to make a guess, I'd say this particular gun may at some stage have gone through an arsenal rebuild or overhaul and stamped accordingly.

The Mark "2" instead of "II" is intriguing. I think I have seen that years ago, on a Mk II that was secretly produced in Norway during WW2. There was quite a production of illegal STENs in machine shops in Oslo and possibly a few other places. Sometimes they were stamped with fake British markings, to try to keep Norwegian production secret. Some of these were smooth-bored, others had only two grooves in the bore (proper rifling demanded tooling that most of these shops didn't have) and some were equipped with barrels shipped from the UK. If such production also took place in other nazi-occupied countries, could this particular gun be one? Just a thought.

Balder

Edit: After looking more closely at the stampings, I'm thinking Asia. There's something "Asian" about them, especially the one on the bolt. And no, I have nothing to back this up, just a hunch.

Edited by Balder

Greetings. I'm new here and I have some doubts about a Sten I own for some time. She has the name and the serial number placed in the magazine wall, but in a way different from all I've seen so far.

The model is marked "STEN MK 2" instead "STEN MK II" and the serial number is C.B.16X.

I've never seen one that wasn't marked with Roman numbers

She has a proof mark on the bolt that seems to be Belgian, as well as some scattered marks in other places that seem to be Belgians also.

If anyone can help me identify it, it will be much appreciated

I have attached some pictures for easy identification

Thanks

Sten (6)a.jpg

Sten (22).JPG

Sten (27).JPG

Sten (15).JPG

Sten (19).JPG

Sten (28).JPG

Sten (30)a.jpg

Sten (03).JPG

Sten (17).JPG

Early Stens used numbers, but later changed to Roman Numerals, most if not all, Mark V Stens are marked with a Roman numeral.

........ Perhaps our member "Balder" can provide some insight. He is one of our members from Belgium who watches this board......

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

David et al,

Sorry, can't help you there - I'm Norwegian, not Belgian.

Balder,

My sincere apologies...But thanks for your valued input, anyway!

David

Hi M3bobby.

These are some pictures of the barrel nut and the barrel.

Actually there are some markings on these two parts.

Here is the barrel nut marking

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Pedrosoli/Forum/IMG_4387_zps5b598cab.jpg

Here in the barrel chamber

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Pedrosoli/Forum/IMG_4388_zps77c5ded4.jpg

and here on the barrel

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u363/Pedrosoli/Forum/IMG_4390_zpsc69f5471.jpg

I hope this can help a bit

Greetings

They are the same markings found on some barrel nuts I purchased of a Belgian dealer, the finish and fit is identical also. The Belgians made many STEN Mk2s post war and for the UK MOD in the 1950s to replace war stocks and supplement those sent to Korea, these were not up to UK standards and many parts weren't to UK spec, the chambre being to 9mm Luger is one. So the contract was cancelled after only a few were delivered.
  • Upvote 1