Michael Free Collection

Now the other little part of me says did they just take his guns, or did they take cars, bank accounts and other tangible assets for the bankrupcy court? Maybe the guns were the only juicy part of the story that made the paper. 50 machine guns.... could that be a million dollars worth? That's about the same number of customers as machine guns. Hope the guns don't dissappear forever and will get sold, pictures show some neat stuff.
  • Upvote 1

Another punch in the gut for gunowners by the liberal media who want to put gunowners in a bad "light". These were probably all legally owned. If instead he had a rare and valuable collection of butterflies, you would not have heard a peep from them.

Mike Hammer

here is some additional info and detail that you all may find of interest. this conduct is clearly out of line and over the top.

http://www.assetprotectionbook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1720

I spoke to the Trustee last week and the current status is that there is a hearing scheduled to determine whether Mr Free should be jailed for contempt of court.

• Upvote 1

Another punch in the gut for gunowners by the liberal media who want to put gunowners in a bad "light". These were probably all legally owned. If instead he had a rare and valuable collection of butterflies, you would not have heard a peep from them.

Mike Hammer

While the lame stream media can be counted on to portray firearm owners in a perpetual bad light (no pun intended), Mr. Free's unscrupulous business practices and his refusal to follow court orders jeopardized his firearm collection.

Under his bankruptcy filing, Free cannot sell any assets. The court appointed a trustee, James Walsh, to oversee the sale of his assets in order to pay creditors

As recently as Feb. 24, a "Michael Tree" listed some of the guns for sale on the website www.subguns.com.

This sale was reported on this board.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13765&hl=%2Bmichael+%2Bfree&fromsearch=1

His firearm collection was indeed catnip for the TRIBUNE-REVIEW, but a story about a guy abusing the BK system while bilking customers out of their property is a legitimate story all by itself.

• Upvote 1

I have seen a few parts of his collection at TCA shows in Maryland. What a shame if those guns get confiscated! There are some very rare and beautiful guns! Edited by giantpanda4

hopefully in the end he makes amends to those he cheated. and on his "Last Day" he can rest.knowing he did the right thing.

Ron /Colt21a

p.s. and we all should be glad we can do the same....

Edited by colt21a

I recall seeing the Subgun ads. He had some nice guns for sale. One was a Thompson pictured in AT II. I wonder if anyone purchased one, and then while waiting for BATF approval to transfer the guns were confiscated by the sheriff. With full or partial payment upfront, that would seem to create some serious problems for a buyer.

I called him on one of the Thompsons. Said he was in a hurry to get funds for a "land deal" and wanted me to overnight the funds. Talking with him something didn't sound right so I took a pass on the deal. Glad I did because a couple of days later I found out they were after him for the guns. All his assets have been attached and will be sold by the new owner to pay the settlement. Sucks to be where he is now ;-)

“Free filed for bankruptcy in 2010, listing assets of about $1.6 million and liabilities of about $671,000.”

I don’t get it… I would love to have that debt ratio. And from what I read, he had court ordered payments of $16k and a $2K fine. That’s one Colt….. Something doesn’t add up…. Maybe they have the numbers reversed?

Edited by Z3BigDaddy

Sounds like a hell bent wife to me?

-Darryl

This incident reminds me of the issue of a formal Buyer/Seller Agreement to purchase a Class 3 item as expensive as a MG. The agreement I developed, with input from a few board members, included a provision that would have addressed the problem in this case. Of course, there would have been the challenge of enforcing the agreement but, without it, the transaction would not have addressed what happened in this case. I've heard pros and cons of using an agreement, with a primary con being the seller might avoid the sell and sell to someone else who doesn't use a formal agreement. I'm sure a seller like in this case would like that approach.

I might add that I recall getting some feedback on this particular individual when he had a Subgun ad that was positive in nature. So someone could have positive references, and there could still be issues like bankrupcy pending. As others have said before, this is a relatively small community (MG owners) but this seems to be an example of the need for a former Buyer/Seller Agreement. I wonder if anyone encountered any problems in this particular case. Robert

• Upvote 1

Chuck,

That's very unfortunate, my belated condolences.

I've been buying some NFA recently from a wealthy collector that is

going through hell in a nasty divorce. A hell bent woman has

no boundaries to torment. Luckily I have loving, understanding wife that puts

up with my sometimes manic tendencies.

-Darryl

Well that explains it. Mike loved his wife she passed. and he has had problems ever since. that is not a hard one to figure out. you lose a loved one or someone you really care about. and the rest of the world seems less interesting.It happens to many people in life.

and Robert when contracts in buying guns become that complicated... its best to pass on any of it. life is way too darn short for more b.s. in buying just a GUN.

i have the 30 second rule if it does not sound fairly easy in the first 30 i move on to something else. got some great deal's that way and passed on some nightmare headaches also.

enjoy whatever you do. just make it easy.

Ron /Colt21a

Edited by colt21a
  • Upvote 1

I met Mike briefly at the TCA S&S a couple years ago and was of course impressed with the display of his collection. I know nothing of his business practices and hope that the seisure of his collection remains strictly a point of the bankruptcy proceedings and that our friends at the ATF have no interest. It would seem that his collection is probably destined for an auction house which will undoubtedly distort the history and value of the pieces. Judging from the various examples I see on page 12 and 58 - 67 of AT2 which I believe are just a sampling, it is a world class Thompson collection. To see on the auction block brings mixed emotions. If only I had a few extra bucks right now...

Am I wrong, or would having his lighting business incorporated have saved his personal property??????????????

As I recall from business school, a primary benefit of incorporation is limited liability and to protect your personal assets. However, there are tax implications with a corporate structure with double taxation of dividends. I would presume he would have had an accountant advise him on tax implications and protecting his assests.