Colt 21AC and Navy Overstamp on Upcoming RIA Auction

I like this M1928A1. Problem: The "U.S." and "A1" are almost unreadable. The rest of the stamping is still nice and deep. It's described as "late." :lol:

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/64/lid/3469

the 1921 AC was previously advertised as being unfired and nicer than 167. I think there are prior posts on this gun and the 28Navy originally offered with it. here is the info I have on the Gun.

3259 1921 AC Hawkeye Protective Appliance Co. 525 Flynn Bldg. Des Moines, Iowa

(1 Shipped 3/30/33) Attn: Sheriff of Plymouth County

Plymouth County Sheriffs Office LeMars, Iowa

* Dr. Henry McKennley collection Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania

Mike Free (C-3 Dealer) N. Huntingdon, Pennsylvania 97% 11/3/00

David Farr collection Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

For Sale: GunBroker.com website 7/21/11 $89,500.00

For Sale: GunBroker.com website 6/21/12 $89,500.00

For Sale: GunBroker.com website 2/19/13 $89,500.00

(This sale brokered by; SMC Firearms of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania)

when the gun first became available, I spoke to the seller. he would not give the serial number. after I offered to fly out and see the gun, he gave me the number. At this time, I was friendly with Mike Free and spoke to him about the gun as he was a prior owner. the gun has an interesting history, but according to Mike, it had been fired and had some significant wear. I spoke to Gordon and he was at Mike's house when the gun was delivered. He recalled shooting the gun with Mike and that it was in nice condition, but certainly not new, unfired or 98%. they both thought the current owner was not reputable, was purposely workjing through a broker and had not disclosed the true condition of the gun. when I asked the seller for pictures of the top of the bolt , the inside of the receiver and the top of lower receiver, he asked why. I explained that those areas should not show any wear if the gun was new and unfired. He declined to provide and I declined to proceed.

Caveat emptor.

Edited by DLansky
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

the advertised condition of the gun is inconsistent with the descriptions of the gun given to me by a prior owner and a very knowledgeable thompson historian. Gordon made notes on the gun at that time and those notes were the basis of his description to me. he also participated in shooting the gun with Mike Free and recalled having done so. also, can any of us imagine a PD acquiring a gun in 1933 and never shooting it, not even once between then and 2000? again, Caveat emptor.

Has anyone ever bought a Thompson at an auction? I wonder how they handle the transfer? The estimated price for this M1 is not bad. What about the Dewats. I am not too familiar how that works. If they have paperwork they can be reactivated?

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/64/lid/1592

Other Thompsons: http://www.rockislandauction.com/search/aid/64

Thompsonlover,

There are other fees associated with those auctions. Even if you got the item for $15,000.00 there would be about 15% extra fees. Some of the other Board members could explain it better. The gun would be transferred through to your Dealer once the sale was finalized and run the normal course like a regular Form 4. The Dewats are registered, so they could be made functional again.

Is Rock Island aware of these inconsistencies between the advertised and the true condition of these guns? It would seem to be in their best interest for their reputation as an auction house to be aware that the guns they're saying will go for 60 to 95,000 dollars should go for 25 to 35,000. Should go without saying, but that is quite a discrepancy. It's the difference between buying that one Colt, or potentially three in good, original condition from another seller. Edited by NJohnson

Thompsonlover,

There are other fees associated with those auctions. Even if you got the item for $15,000.00 there would be about 15% extra fees. Some of the other Board members could explain it better. The gun would be transferred through to your Dealer once the sale was finalized and run the normal course like a regular Form 4. The Dewats are registered, so they could be made functional again.

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, auctions get pretty screwy

I have sold used stuff on gunbroker for more money than a new one costs

some guys have deep pockets and they refuse to lose an auction

that goes double for a big ticket auction like julias

Edited by buzz

In my experience Auctions are a useful marketplace for the seller.Yes there is risk if you choose to sell no reserve but i have sold Cars, (1) Motorcycles (5) and a Thompson (1) through well known auction venues. In every case after sales fee's I think I did as good or better than having to deal with all the tire kicking B S .Now buying at a Auction is much more difficult. Books have been written about how to bid successfully at Auctions, There are a lot of similarities to a poker game. Know your limits and be prepared to walk away.

Here are the auction results without the buyers premium I think. https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=93726

Those Dewats went for 10K. Here is how one was dewated "This SMG was DEWATED by welding a plug inside the barrel/chamber area along with a small tack weld at the junction of the barrel and the receiver face" So if I bought one like this with the buyers premium say 12K, brought it to a Gunsmith and say he charges $1500-2000, I would be into the gun for $14K. Not too bad considering today dealers prices. Question is about value? Even thought I don't plan on ever selling it how much less worth would it have then a regular Thompson that was not repaired/rewated? What do you guys think??

Edited by Thompsonlover

This is from RIA via "Proxybid" on purchasing and premiums.

Internet Premium: 20.5%
Cash Payment Discount: 2.5%
Participation Requirements: Valid Credit Card required for bidding approval
Payment Options: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Check, Money Order, and Wire Transfer
Visa MasterCard Discover
Payment Instructions: Payment Information: BUYER’S PREMIUM. All bid prices “hammer prices” ('hammer prices' mean the price at which a lot is knocked down to the purchaser) will be subject to a buyer’s premium 20.5% payable by the purchaser. The buyer’s premium shall be reduced to 18% provided the payment is paid by cash or the equivalent of cash (cashier’s check, wire transfer, or approved personal check). If the account is settled by credit card, the buyer’s premium then shall be the standard 20.5%. This is not an aggregate percentage on the total items bid, but rather a per item percentage rate. This and the hammer price equal the final purchase price.
So, if item "X" sells for $10K + $1800 buyer's premium = $11800 final purchase price. That's assuming the buyer pays with cash or certified funds. Paying with a card will cost an extra $200 for item "X".
Edited by LSU Tiger