Early, First Generation, 1928A1 Savage Thompson Replica

I thought I'd post pictures of my current work of my Early, first generation, 1928A1 Savage Replica.

It sports a Savage/Stevens milled grip mount, Savage barrel, Original Lyman NOS flip up sight, Savage lower and controls that are original 3xx,xxx range, the butt stock is original NOS and has numbered butt plate & stock matching with non-cross bolt; front hand guard is marked Savage. It has original Savage Knurled Safety, which I am in need of a knurled Savage Pivot lever to go with it for the project. It has

the original Type 4 Cutts Comp, but I am also in need of a Pin for the Comp as you will see in the pictures.

I punched marked upper receiver to barrel, press fit the barrel into the receiver, and reference marked the side of the receiver to look it make look more authentic.

I have updated (not in the pictures), the lower frame grip to a NOS stained one in beautiful condition and put on a another NOS rear early non-cross bolt stock with original stain finish that was in better shape that has the matching early butt plate stamped # and Stock stamped and #'d the same as the butt plate.

The Sling is real 1914 Thompson Kerr sling and the 50 rd drum is real pre-WWII with 1928 and 1921 instructions marked and with a nickel rotor.

I am waiting to update the actuator handle from the smooth one that comes with the Aluminium dummy receiver and put a milled Doug Richardson early 1928A1knurled style to make it proper for the period. Still missing a Cutts Comp pin and an Knurled Pivot selector for it, so if you can help me that would be wonderful.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and the work.

Have a nice weekend.

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

Edited by Kocapuff1

Hey.......i need that safty selector,ive got the matching selector...lol

nice work,ive got a new set of dans wood comming in soon.

Keith, I don't know if you considered putting a serial number.

You could choose one from a period photo that has the look you're after.

I had my serial number engraved at "Alltec Engravers" in FL. They matched the font perfectly and, most important, were very careful not to mar the existing markings.

I thought it was very reasonable and the turnaround wasn't bad.

No local engravers (L.A.) were willing to work on even a display Thompson. These people were great.

Phil

I use regular white paint out of a spray can, gloss or flat enamel. I spray it a on plate, so I can get to the paint with the tooth pick and use a tooth pick to fill all the areas with paint you want filled. Then let it dry about 10 to 15 minutes, then use Isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel to work off the excess. You can see how good it comes out on everything.

Some people buy a paint marker from Doug Richardson and that works well also.

Edited by Kocapuff1

Well today the weather is rainy and bad in Illinois. I received my package from my good friend today and in it was my Doug Richardson made 1928A1 "Knurled" display actuator.

To make this replica more proper for an early model build it needed the knurled actuator. It was no easy chore at first. I will post all the pictures below. Realize I'm not a machinist and only had a drill press at my father's but none the less it came out perfect.

This aluminium replica/dummy receiver came with the steel actuator non-knurled handle installed on top. No-one including me knew how they were installed. So I keep turning it out, but it wasn't coming out; it was pressed in and with red-Loctite is what I found out after. I used the drill press and drilled a centered whole from the underneath of the receiver into the pressed in smooth actuator handle. I eventually then worked out the smooth actuator with a set of vice grips. It finally popped out and luckily I had a perfectly centered hole to start putting in the Doug Richardson display knurled actuator. I had to drill it out to the proper size to get installed and then had to counter sink/drill out a larger hole so the screw and flat washer would install and get tight to hold the knurled replica actuator handle. I used 3 carbon steel flat washers underneath the replica knurled handle to get it to the proper height, so it wouldn't be sitting low in the receiver like the other installed one. I also drilled out in the area of the actuator replica handle to accommodate the sear, so the safety would work correctly, as you will see in the pictures. I re-cleaned everything and put it all back together and the pictures show the latest.

It really looks much better with the proper knurled actuator. Next will be to find a knurled Savage Pivot selector to have all the knurled parts proper and I will eventually get the Cutts Comp pin installed, when I get one.

Pictures:

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

Are you going to do a Colt display as well?

Darryl

Looks sweet,

The reason I asked is I have an original Colt frame with PK'd Colt like control levers, mag catch lever, PK nickel'd GI internals and a numbers matching Colt like engraved dummy receiver. Also DBlock Colt like wood and with a Colt like butt stock latch assembly.

All stuff I've accumulated over the years working with PK and buying parts sets.

I'm either going to sell it as a unit or make my own Colt like display someday when I have time.

Keep up the good work,

Darryl

• 1 month later...

I finished installing an original Cutts Compensator Pin in the replica.

I am in need of the Savage Knurled Pivot Selector still. If anyone has an extra Savage Knurled Pivot Selector that they would sell, please PM me.

Thank you.

Got the wood from dan already,i had him keep it raw so i can try my hand at the dark coloring myself.she will be a nice replica when its done...im taking my time on this one. Edited by MARK2112
  • Upvote 1