Washers?

I have accumulated several of the thin washers used on 28 Thompson stock bolts. These fit the bolts on the buttstock, but their diameter is too wide for the rear grip and vertical fore grip bolts. Were there other washers used on thses bolts? I found some old lock washers in the same bin, which do fit, but can't remember it they came off a Thompson or something else. (Somehow the idea of lockwashers doesn't seem right. Thanks in advance, guys.

In examining both guns and parts kits, I haven't seen the washers that you speak of used in any location on the guns other than under the stock securing bolts. That's hardly proof, though!

Gunner,

Yes, there are smaller diameter washers that were used on the grip bolts, both on Colt and WWII guns. Are they required? No, they are not. Some guns have them some don't. Sometimes the bolt lengths vary and they seem to have been used as shims on the rear pistol grips. I have also seen lock washers used on the front horizontal fore grips of WWII guns.

Both front and rear grips on my 28 have washers. They are larger ID than the bolt OD so they seem a bit too large BUT they stick up inside the counterbored bolt hole and the OD of the washer prevents them from coming out with the bolt. They appear to be held in place by a combination of friction (due to swollen wood....and NOT the type that are associated with one of Mike's calendars!!!)) and probably linseed oil.

Nice that they stay in place or I'd lose them fer sure....

Don't know if they are original, though.

john

Gunner,

As GIjive said, some wood has them, some doesn't. The parts set I got recently had a washer in the rear grip but not one in the horizontal foregrip. I have seen them more commonly on the rear grip and once on a vertical foregrip. Most I have seen have been split washers. I don't know how much "locking" they do, but they are that configuration. So what you have in your bin probably came from the grips.