New Thoughts On Compensator Fouling?

Matt,

I'm not sure about other brands, but Federal markets the .45s without exposed lead at the base as "TMJ" - total metal jacket. The price is about the same as FMJs but they can be hard to find. I use the TMJ .45s in the L drum under the assumption that a drum dump is the worst case scenario for comp fouling.

I have always used "Break Free" CLP on my guns and have not had any trouble with the compensator leading up. This weekend we ran several C and L drums through it and all that built up was some carbon which wiped away with a lubricated rag. The bullets fired were both the totally enclosed and TMJ with exposed lead base.

This weekend I was at Bass Pro, and looked at an electrical rig made by Outers. It was about $75, which would be a bargain if it worked. It seemed cumbersome. You set the barrel up vertically, plug it at the chamber end, tape up the compensator slots, insert a metal rod, and pour in solution. There is an voltage converter and wire that clips to the receiver, and you flip an switch, and the metal is supposed to accumulate on the rod. Anybody have any experience with this setup?

Gunner,

I'd want a full satisfaction or my money back guarantee before I bought it. I'd also want a clause to indemnify me for any actual and consequential damages.

Then I'd try it on something that did not matter. Sounds like the machine is sort of trying to reverse (inverse?) plate by getting the residue to separate from rather than bond to the underlying metal (the comp). I'd be concerned about bluing being damaged and generating pits in the comp metal.