Saw Some Thompsons For Sale Today

Saw three thompsons for sale today...wanted to see if you guys had an idea of their worth:

1) M1A1 savage made gun...dulite finish...and looks to be the original finish as the insector stampings showed bare steel. No US property mark...and the rear sight encroached a bit on to the thomson bullet logo on top of the receiver...great wood...S marked forend...couldn't tell on the grip or buttstock...but it looked like a 95%+ M1A1 for sure. Matching lower...with number marked on the trigger guard. no accessories.

2) 1928 colt Navy overstamp...original finish also in about the 95% finish range...mismatched lower....but has a colt lower...wood all appears to match and the buttstock has the remington anchor. proper parts throughout ...bolt...actuator, etc...just a slight number mismatch between receiver and lower. Repro case, repro rod, maguire drum in 80% condition..some wear on the key, 2 patent date mags in 80% condition.

3) 1928 Colt....14000 SN range...parkerized...mismatched lower...maybe colt...maybe not...compensator, verticle forend...all wood looks to be of same vintage but no remington anchor...1928 actuator...all internals look to be GI. no box mags but a seymore drum in about 70% condition with edge dents.

what would you think about the values for these??

Ok I'll give it a shot......

1) M1A1 Savage. I gave $7k for mine last year. Saw one at the creek for $14.5k. Saw one at a show in Indy, 12.5k.

2)Same guy in Indy had a overstamp. Very nice but not matching numbers, $25k. Had a case (repro) but no drums or mags. ouch. Maquire drum I haven't seen one to get the ideas on.

3) Seems the asking price on the Colts in in the 20-25 range. Some mismatched guns drop to around $15-$19k. Drum is worth about $7-800.

I know it's not right on but it's close.

Hugh,

I would mostly agree with Mike about his prices... heard people are still buying M1s for $10K, but asking is aproaching $12K.

The navy - $25K seems steep for non-matching, but today it is probably correct.

The 21 seems like it is terribly devalued to have been parkerized. My first question is whether it is real. Too bad you can't pull off the gripmount and check the "hidden" s/n. My comment is because my "15043" was parked - obviously to hide what was done to it, when they changed the s/n. Even if it is correct - I would knock it down a bit for what its = parked and non Colt internals.

Just my opinion.....

It seems to me that the prices of Thompsons are (or were) on a constant upward climb. When a particular variation of the gun runs out of supply, then the prices leap to the moon!

The West Hurley is a good example. In the last year a Westy 28 has gone from the $6k-$8k range to the $11k-$13k range.

I see the same happening to M1's (and M1A1's) with all the press the M1 has gotten in films and D-Day, demand has risen to the point of not only limited supply, but "dried up supply."

The Colt's hit this point many years ago.

It makes me wonder how much my full auto firing pin (which will be in a Richardson receiver) will be worth? I paid $4500 for it almost two years ago. The full auto firing pin gun is the furthest from an original Thompson, but depending on the setup it is in, it might fetch close to $10k today! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Just my $.02 worth.

Norm

Z3,

WTF! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

first one $10,000.00 second one $15,000.00 third one $10,000.00.now thats just me............its seem's the gun's are getting worse and the price is climbing......sad!! sad!!

but again for those who are holding on to one, or two or even three. thats good new's............but it only happens when you sell it..............

i try and tell everyone now.to hold on to at least one....

and spread the rest to other collector's..........so we all can share in the fun of it...............wink!! i do....

take care,ron

Z3,

Actually, I was refering to that "jaw droping smiley!" http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wacko.gif

Oh LOL I was way off... That jaw dropper was for Mike and all the rest of the 7K gun buyers.... You can't believe how many people give me grief because I paid 4.5 K for a firing pin... Most all say "For another two thousand you could have had a real tsmg"... To which I say OK I have my checkbook let's do some business.... Haven't bought a 6.5 K gun yet... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

I missed out on a Colt 1928 overstamp two years ago at the Knob for $8500! I could just puke thinking about how great a shooter 'parkerized' Colt TSMG would be...no worries about shooting or showing it...with me not being a purist, it still would fullfill my dream! If the guy wants to sell it let me know...!!! I will sell my 1957 Chev Bel Air Nomad wagon in a heartbeat....!!! Or maybe donate an organ or something for the bucks!!!!