Kahr Arms Reliability / Customer Service

Hi, just joined this board a couple of days ago. This is a wonderful place to find out info. I wish I had found it earlier. I just purchased a Kahr Arms 1927 A-1 deluxe and am having some reliability issues. I have searched the board and found some similar posts & fixes. Just a couple of questions.

The issues are reliability related.

1. Misfeads - factory L drum and mag.

2. FTF - appears to be out of battery.

3. Drum doesn't function worth a hoot.... 2-3 rounds and stoppages. I followed instructions diligently.

4. As indicated in the manual - used brass case Win 230 ball ammo. Tried some other factory ammo of same weight and had the same problems. Approx 500 rounds fired.

5. When installing their drum it slides all the way thru unless you line it up with the catch just right.

I have lusted after the semi for quite sometime and expected good quality out of Kahr arms. The finish is great as is the wood, but for $1K expect it to run.

How many rounds do I need to fire to wring any bugs out ......I've never deal with anything that didn't work out of the box (maybe I'm just lucky). I bought this wholesale thru my club (we have an FFL) and the wholesaler says "we are not a warranty station....contact the manufacturer". I've only had it for a week. It has been cleaned and oiled per the factory instructions.

I know people have had differing experiences with these.

What remedies could I expect thru the factory. I don't want to wait 6+ weeks for it to be worked on, only to have additional problems?

Are the forthright fixing their problems?

Has anyone had any luck in obtaining a refund?

I have the dated invoice from the wholesaler (Bill Hicks)?

I believe it is a 2004 production run.

Another member just purchased an identical model and doesn't want to shoot until I find out about these issues.

Sorry if I'm asking something that has been asked before?

I don't know where to turn on this one..... they will not even provide postage for return shipping.

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a semi Thompson owner (one day!), but have you tried the stick mag?

Your note appears to only mention drum usage and the current Kahr drums have been of such poor operational quality that a new verb, i.e, "kahr" (rhymes with duck) has been added to the Thompson related language.

The gun itself may take a bit of tweaking but I think most everybody does eventually get them to work fairly well. The drums are another story - some can be made to work, others appear to become display stands.

Best of luck.

MP

This is usual for a Kahr - I suggest you contact PK - his address can be found on the many prior posts about this issue - its rare when a Kahr works out of the box - don't expect much from the drums, they can be sent to Merle - again in many prior posts.

The drum can in some cases be made to work for around $200. or more, and the gun for a range of $200. - $500 depending on what work has to be done. I wanted a little more and spent over $900. on a Kahr.

Welcome to the world of Kahr. Six weeks? I sent a gun to Kahr after it blew up the first time I fired it and wanted 3 months to get a repair that still didnt work. However this is the place to find out about your Kahr.

I have a semi kahr M1 sbr -- my wallet doesn't allow for the real deal.....after sending it off to be worked on, it runs like a champ.... only issue is the rear sight come off but this is being addressed now. Since getting it back, I have put over 600 rds through it with no jams at all. I agree with the above post that you should get a good gunsmith to look it over...

Welcome to the forum.

Probably the 1st thing would be to either re-shape the mag catch to accept GI magazines, or purchase on from Damon at TommyGunner.com

Another problem could be that the chamber is a tad tight. Damon or PK can open it up for you to GI specs.

You can fix the feed problems with the drum, it takes about a half an hour to adjust the rails inside to allow the cartridges to slide freely. Also while you have it apart you may want to check that the rotor isn't dragging on the rails, another problem with the Kahr drums.

I purchased my Kahr in 2002, and had a few problems with it feeding. Most were fixable at home. I did have a bunch or custom work done by PK an certainly do not regret it. PK is in the West and Damon in the East. Take your pick. Both do a great job!

Its a real shame that everyone is sending out products that do not work reliably for the $$ spent.

If the bolt seems to have a lot of resistance to opening and especially closing just from friction forces, you may spend a few moments with some sand paper (400 grit or finer) polishing the bearing surfaces on the Z shaped firing pin. That took a lot of the problems out of my semi a few years back.

Get a couple stick mags and give them a try before anything else, the new drums are so variable some work, it seems many don't. Take a good look at the stick mags too, many may be out of spec on the feed lips and produce bad results too. I don't remember the space, but your could probably search it or maybe just ask PK.

Dan

Swampglockman--

Welcome to the club, in more ways than one. You have all the classic symptoms of a new Kahr; some have also experienced the compsensator and rear sight jarring loose. If tweaking doesn't help, sending to PK or Damon on this board will fix the problem completely. Since it is firing out of battery, I doubt if there is an easy home fix, so don't be afraid to pack it up and send it to an expert. There is usually a long waiting list, so you might just try to get your money back if you can't wait for repairs. I've been down that road; Wish you the best of luck with it.

I have a 85 AO/WH M1 semi, and with a loaded mag in, you could look in to the receiver, and see the bolt was not lined up to strip a cartridge from the mag. It would take a small piece out of the rim, then jam up on the side of the round. I ended up using a dremel tool to releave the area that the mags feed lips come in contact with, so the mag would go farther up into the receiver. I also had to weld up the catch hole in the mag, then file it until it was snug. I also polished the feed ranp, and it seems to work fine now. It already has the GI mag catch, and all I had was modified mags, so I had to weld them up anyway. Put the gun on safe, load 4 rds into a mag, and see if the bolt lines up to catch the rim to feed the round. Mine gave me the most trouble with the left cartridge in the mag. That should give you an idea of the problem. It helped me , hope it helps you.

Just give up and send it to PK. Mine worked pretty well but not 100% which is what I demand in a gun.

Like most I can't afford a FA and really wonder if I want to fill out that much paperwork if I could.

I sent my Kahr M1 to PK waited 9 months and got back a serious social tool , not a toy. It eats 185 jhp's all day and hits my 100yd plate every time I do my part.

PK was good. send it now , later will only cost more.