1921 For Sale by Frank

Yes Tom Bowers retired. So Frank is the owner maybe we can get better pic's talked to frank once years ago and that is about it. Don't know how he deal's.. hopefully like old school. but broker stuff can be rough, Will report a old grease gun deal M3A1 later about gun brokering. Always the best you buy it you own it and you sell it..Golden rule.

Colt21A Ron

I'm pretty sure 99% of his poor pictures are taken by the guy selling him the gun.

Would you take a junk pic if you wanted to sell your gun? Even through a broker ???

Or are the pics to hide a pos and intentional from the top down. Gotta ask yourself how 99% give the same result

Why are they consistently bad? When you Sell anything. A car a gun whatever. Do you take a nice pic? I do. Its not a photo studio. But I can take some nice pics. Even with my phone. Take the gun outside on a sunny day and get the angle right.

Nope. Instead take fuzzy pics on a $20,000 gun you hope to sell. When I see a pattern I assume its by design. People buy his guns off these pics. The right type of Customer. One who buys on a dream and not reality. Ive been that person on a few purchases. Buying a machine gun is an exciting thing. You hope for the best

As said, most of his guns are brokered and he never touches them. In that case you are using him as the middle man to get info from the seller. A little different than buying from someone who owns the gun, has it in their possession and hires a professional photographer to take pics.

Ron

you dont need to hire a pro photographer.....an average person with a cell phone and 5 minutes can take 10x better pics than what ive seen (typically-not always)....

its hard for me to believe 99% of his customers are unable to take a nice photo...yea- i see some, but all??? you believe no one can take a pic in focus? no one can take 20 detailed pics outdoors ?...they can only take 2-4 pics?

or are they instructed to take 4 pictures in the dark w/o a flash?

go to craigs list...look at any pic....do they look better or worse than franks?.......the average person can take a beautiful pic with a Iphone in seconds....

doesnt need to be professional with perfect color....just needs to show surface distress and rust/dents.......

i 100% understand the communication issues they have with sellers....some are estates, some are elderly.....ive tried to buy a few with good info and more pics in a day...yet others ive asked for pics for 3 weeks and never got any info....isnt gathering the info and correct pics part of their job? wouldnt they want 25 good pics? dont they know enough to ask the seller for correct info needed to sell the gun?..

your not giving the average person enough credit...and frank a pass

Edited by huggytree

Huggy-why don't you go take photos of the guns Frank sells then?

When I sold him mine, I took several pics for him and when I bought from him I asked for several different pics. Many who are selling guns through him don't know what is and what is not needed.

The gun is not a bad example but looks like it has been touched up a bit. I have never seen a Colt Thompson that has been fired, not have some circular rub marks in the area of the safety. Also, I have pointed out a scratch that appears to have been blued over.

1921-1.jpg

The pivot plate has been beaten on with a punch- type tool at some point. Looks like some armorer didn't know how to remove it, or used a punch to knock it back in place. The JHB stamp also looks to have been blued over. That stamp was affixed after the gun was blued and usually broke the bluing.

1921-2.jpg

The price is pretty high for a gun with that much work done to it.

• Upvote 1

Excellent analysis. Given the prices of Colt's in today's market, any prospective buyer should pay gijive $500 to perform an inspection prior to plunking down the cash. Of course, if they will post pictures on the Board, he will do it for free. Thanks Chuck!