M1928 Savage Parts kit find. Russian lend lease return.

Found this almost complete parts kit at the gun show yesterday and thought Id share. Couple questions though. There are some markings on the barrel that Im curious about. Looks like there is an x stamped in between the first couple fins and Ill take a picture when I get home. Any one know what that x signifies? Also the grip that came with it looks to have been burned as well as part of the hand guard. The grip that appears charred does not have a marking on it and it looks a lot older than the gun. Does anyone know what company did not mark their grips? Thanks for the help!

post-261831-0-33522200-1552940671_thumb.jpeg

post-261831-0-31809800-1552940686_thumb.jpeg

post-261831-0-87310600-1552940705_thumb.jpeg

post-261831-0-76963000-1552940730_thumb.jpeg

post-261831-0-56961000-1552940748_thumb.jpeg

post-261831-0-14545300-1552940769_thumb.jpeg

post-261831-0-70854900-1552940796_thumb.jpeg

I have seen the P O L markings on the receiver nose on Thompsons previously. Does anyone know the origin of this mark?

Your going to have fun removing the grip mount!

Ya i was thinking about how im gonna do that haha. Also ive been reading the threads on identifying a colt rear grip and this grip is unmarked and kinda points me to believe this is a colt grip. Can anyone tell right iff the bat that this is a colt grip? At the bottom corner of trigger guard where the grip meets it goes straighht back slightly downward and then curves down at a 45 degree angle. Can anyone confirm this is a colt grip?

I have seen the P O L markings on the receiver nose on Thompsons previously. Does anyone know the origin of this mark?

Your going to have fun removing the grip mount!

POL is the trigraph that 'we' use for Poland. I don't know if they use it in Poland, but that could fit.

I had a demill receiver with stubbed barrel exactly like that and was able to remove the stub with an impact gun. Consider welding a wheel lug nut directly to the barrel stub, secure the receiver in a vice and back out the nut / stub with an impact socket and extension. Edited by inertord

A impact on a welded nut (or bolt, in your case so it goes past the end of the grip mount) does work as I've used that technique myself. But you'll get faster/better results if you make a relief cut around on the barrel about 1/8" from the receiver stub about 3/16" deep and as far are and the barrel as possible without cutting the grip mount. Wrap or tape the grip mount to protect it. I hope I explained that good enough :)

Nice find on the kit!

Andrew

If you do not have access to a welder - use a die grinder to put flats on the barrel stub. Mount the stub in a strong solid vice. Then try turning the receiver section off of the stub. Once it breaks loose, it should be easy to turn off since the mount is not against it.

Ya i was thinking about how im gonna do that haha. Also ive been reading the threads on identifying a colt rear grip and this grip is unmarked and kinda points me to believe this is a colt grip. Can anyone tell right iff the bat that this is a colt grip? At the bottom corner of trigger guard where the grip meets it goes straighht back slightly downward and then curves down at a 45 degree angle. Can anyone confirm this is a colt grip?

Hi,

Sure looks like it could be a Colt grip. Contours are right and it is unmarked. Looks kind of waterlogged, though. Maybe it got soaked when they put out the fire?